• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renewal advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renewal advice

About to complete my first 12 month contract and renewal is very likely considering how progressively busy we have been getting over the last 6 months. Have been told that my contract is essentially ongoing and that I only have an estimated completion date.There is only me and one other guy handling the work and the reason that I was taken on was to reduce his workload.
    Having suffered from the similar 10% rate cut imposed by the client that I see some others have endured I would like to renegotiate my contract and as a minimum claw back that 10% form the agency.
    When I began contracting I feel that I sold myself under market rate due to poor negotiating skills at the time and having a limited experience in the work but now feel that I am well and truly up to speed considering the workload that I have been handling over the last six months by myself.
    So just wondering should I mention this to the client first before approaching the agent about the renewal and rate increase. The reason for this is I would like to get an idea of what the agency is charging the client before I know better if there is room to squeeze the agent for the 10%. Am fairly confident that I can get this info from the client. I am not intending to ask the client to increase the rate but am aware the agency will likely try to pass this on to them anyway and will know better if they say client has declined the rate increase.

Originally posted by kermitt View Post
    About to complete my first 12 month contract and renewal is very likely considering how progressively busy we have been getting over the last 6 months. Have been told that my contract is essentially ongoing and that I only have an estimated completion date.There is only me and one other guy handling the work and the reason that I was taken on was to reduce his workload.
    Having suffered from the similar 10% rate cut imposed by the client that I see some others have endured I would like to renegotiate my contract and as a minimum claw back that 10% form the agency.
    When I began contracting I feel that I sold myself under market rate due to poor negotiating skills at the time and having a limited experience in the work but now feel that I am well and truly up to speed considering the workload that I have been handling over the last six months by myself.
    So just wondering should I mention this to the client first before approaching the agent about the renewal and rate increase. The reason for this is I would like to get an idea of what the agency is charging the client before I know better if there is room to squeeze the agent for the 10%. Am fairly confident that I can get this info from the client. I am not intending to ask the client to increase the rate but am aware the agency will likely try to pass this on to them anyway and will know better if they say client has declined the rate increase.
    Yes, ask the client. They can always refer you straight back to the agent. Butter them up a bit with how you are enjoying the work, are keen to stay, etc etc Smarmy I know, but it's all part of the game. Don't expect the agent to cough up without a very nasty fight.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Difference

WHS +

If you know you are doing a good job, i.e. you can show difference you've made or/and value you've added, then mention this to Agency...
        My first contract was on £22.50 per hour (many moons ago)...Knew I was worth more (maybe bit cocky- but was confident with what I'd achieved)
        told Agent wanted £5 more per hour....he insisted that noone ever got £5 per hour raise.........I told him to put this to client, he came back and said client said would give £4.50 raise..........it was only years after when I was having a drink with the agent (really, he is now good mate).....I queried why client gave £4.50 and not £5......he said "well we have to take our cut"....bar stewards...........lol
        All in the game.........let us know how you get on.......

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
          WHS +

If you know you are doing a good job, i.e. you can show difference you've made or/and value you've added, then mention this to Agency...
          My first contract was on £22.50 per hour (many moons ago)...Knew I was worth more (maybe bit cocky- but was confident with what I'd achieved)
          told Agent wanted £5 more per hour....he insisted that noone ever got £5 per hour raise.........I told him to put this to client, he came back and said client said would give £4.50 raise..........it was only years after when I was having a drink with the agent (really, he is now good mate).....I queried why client gave £4.50 and not £5......he said "well we have to take our cut"....bar stewards...........lol
          All in the game.........let us know how you get on.......
          Yep, once walked away from a contract renewal as the agent insisted on his cut of a rate rise. It was the grand sum - and I kid you not - of an extra 27p per hour to him. I hated the agency, and that was the final straw. I found a new role within a week, paying 20% more than the prior job; and that new contract lasted 4.5 years. Ah, those were the days.
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

kermitt, do you know the agency is not on a fixed percentage? They usually are if they are on the PSL for the customer...
            Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
            X