• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reporting an Agency?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reporting an Agency?

If an agency contacts me with a contract, and say they are putting me forward, but in fact it turns out that they do not have the role at all and the client does not get my CV, can I report them to a governing body? The role itself is real, but is being dealt with via other agencies.

Depends.

If they are signed up to one then they should have the logos on their website.

Otherwise try this:
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/empl...page27003.html
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
      If an agency contacts me with a contract, and say they are putting me forward, but in fact it turns out that they do not have the role at all and the client does not get my CV, can I report them to a governing body? The role itself is real, but is being dealt with via other agencies.
      Maybe they realised you're just a figment of Lola's imagination ;-)

Comment

That was against the ATSCO code of practice last time I looked.

Comment

What is the problem here? Seems like a subco to a preferred supplier has put your CV forward to the PS, but the PS has decided you didn't make the cut of CV's to be presented to the end client. All in the contracting game, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
            What is the problem here? Seems like a subco to a preferred supplier has put your CV forward to the PS, but the PS has decided you didn't make the cut of CV's to be presented to the end client. All in the contracting game, isn't it?
            Sort of, but when you have been told you have been put forward to the "client" then it's a different matter. I must admit in the past I have just taken all this with a pinch of salt and moved on but recently this has irritated me far more than normal, partly because theres much less work out there. The preferred supplier/2nd tier arrangement is fairly pointless for the end client as quite often they wont ever get to see the most suitable candidates as the agencies are working to a different agenda (whoever they can make the most money on) And then theres the CV blocking games which sounds like what might have happened to the OP....Sigh...it gets so tedious and all adds to the mockery of using agencies!

Comment

If the agent has offered to put your CV forward to the client and you have agreed that the agent will represent you then a contact containing the required offer and acceptance is in place.

If you have any emails etc to support this activity then you should go ahead and report them as they have clearly not upheld their end of the bargin.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by XperTest View Post
                No it isn't "all in the contracting game". It's a scum agency practice and it's called CV blocking, there was a recent thread on this.

Agency should not tell you they have submitted your CV if they have not.
                If you didn't make the cut then all they need to do is to tell you they had already filled their quota of CV's.

This practice of hoovering up all the CV's on the market, only submitting a handful and then telling everyone their CV has been submitted seems sadly to be widespread. Clearly it then prevents other agencies from getting the CV's and reduces competition.

As has been said before insist on a written e-mail from the agent confirming your CV has been sent. If they don't do this but only respond by phone just continue sending your CV to other agencies for the same role.

This has burnt me quite a few times in recent months. However what the OP or anyone else can do about it is probably nothing due to the lack of any proper regulation of agencies(or at least that I'm aware of).

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
                  Write to your MP
                  Write a letter to the Times
                  Write to Watchdog

or learn from the experience
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Ruse View Post
                    No it isn't "all in the contracting game". It's a scum agency practice and it's called CV blocking, there was a recent thread on this.

Agency should not tell you they have submitted your CV if they have not.
                    If you didn't make the cut then all they need to do is to tell you they had already filled their quota of CV's.

This practice of hoovering up all the CV's on the market, only submitting a handful and then telling everyone their CV has been submitted seems sadly to be widespread. Clearly it then prevents other agencies from getting the CV's and reduces competition.

As has been said before insist on a written e-mail from the agent confirming your CV has been sent. If they don't do this but only respond by phone just continue sending your CV to other agencies for the same role.

This has burnt me quite a few times in recent months. However what the OP or anyone else can do about it is probably nothing due to the lack of any proper regulation of agencies(or at least that I'm aware of).
                    How do you find out that your CV has not actually been submitted?

Comment

Working...
                    X