• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Old school contractor - newbie to the forum.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old school contractor - newbie to the forum.

hi all,

cut a long story short - is the market generally busier after xmas, new year, or before xmas? I have been contacted 3 times in the past month regarding contracts starting in November, however i am currently on a short term gig until Jan, and dont know if i should jump ship now, or wait till the new year.

the long story...
    im a pretty old school contractor whos been at it for over 7yrs now. I took a bad decision last year and went back to permie land, on the permise of local regular work, 20mins from my house, blah blah, anyway it back fired, i didnt adjust at all to permieland, and after 2 months in the wilderness got back on the wagon on a 3 month contract, which i am pleased to say is now a 6 month gig taking me until Jan-Feb 2010 until the client can replace me with a permie.

My question being...

See above.

If you're on contract till Jan, you shouldn't jump ship before Jan. Call me an old traditionalist if you like

hth
    tl

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      If you're on contract till Jan, you shouldn't jump ship before Jan. Call me an old traditionalist if you like

hth
      tl
      WHS. Don't take risks in the current market. Or at this time of year.

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

that wasn't really my point!

Comment

that wasn't really my point!
          Ah, sorry. See what you mean. I didn't realise he was looking to jump ship early.

Still, I think both our replies are valid: he should stay where he is!

Nomadd
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

hth
            tl
            WHS.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X