• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how's the market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how's the market?

I've just been offered a six month renewal. Gig's okay, but the rate's less than I was getting last year. When I started the job the market was really dead and this was the only game in town. Now I'm not sure. As a .NET dev in London, can I afford to drive a hard bargain, or should I be grabbing the renewal like a drowning man reaching for a life preserver?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Originally posted by icarus View Post
    I've just been offered a six month renewal. Gig's okay, but the rate's less than I was getting last year. When I started the job the market was really dead and this was the only game in town. Now I'm not sure. As a .NET dev in London, can I afford to drive a hard bargain, or should I be grabbing the renewal like a drowning man reaching for a life preserver?

.Net skills are like rocking horse s*it at the moment and the world is your toaster.
    Dont accept anything less than a 25% rate rise or walk for another role.
    Whos your agent BTW??

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
      .Net skills are like rocking horse s*it at the moment
      PZZ
      I assume that's a good thing.

Agent = Kite

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

I assume that's a good thing.

Agent = Kite

Thanks for your advice.
        Pzzzzzzzzzz was being sarcastic
        A common and unfortunate trait on this forum.

market is better than this time last year. However it is still november so the chance of landing anything before christmas deminishes every day.
        If you can, sit tight till the new year!
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Testing market is tulip. I've seen roles advertised in the last few days on jobswerve for £90 a day up to £210 a day.

Saw one advertised in cambridge that said the max payable would be £10 per hour although client looking to pay £8 per hour.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Pzzzzzzzzzz was being sarcastic
            A common and unfortunate trait on this forum.

market is better than this time last year. However it is still november so the chance of landing anything before christmas deminishes every day.
            If you can, sit tight till the new year!
            SC - what traditionally happens?
            i.e. when do things start to pick up again on the NY? Jan?

I've read on some posts that it can be as late as Spring (March/April).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
              SC - what traditionally happens?
              i.e. when do things start to pick up again on the NY? Jan?

I've read on some posts that it can be as late as Spring (March/April).
              Personal experience says mid to late Jan is when it picks up.
              Probably depends on your own slice of the market though
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Define "market". It's somewhere between dead and booming, depending on what your skillset is, and rate demands.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Market is still not great. Im also a .NET Dev and its probably the most plentiful skillset for contracts, however,I would just be glad you have a contract and arent homeless.

Comment

I've just been offered a six month renewal.
                    I stopped reading at that point, as that was all I needed to know.

You can either renew until the Spring. Or be a complete idiot.

Your call.

Nomadd
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X