• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Possible BBC Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible BBC Contract

Hi

Got a couple of contract offers on the table. One in my comfort zone of SC/public sector work, and one in the unknown world of the BBC. Anyone care to share opinions of contracting with Auntie?

Thanks

Good luck getting an IR35 compliant contract out of the BBC.

Comment

I've never worked there but I suspect that the BBC contract will be the same as the SC/public sector contract but without the SC bit.

A contractor who I met on another gig said that it was odd going to the canteen at lunchtime to see people having their lunch who you usually only see on TV. It sounded interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by tenpin View Post
        Hi

Got a couple of contract offers on the table. One in my comfort zone of SC/public sector work, and one in the unknown world of the BBC. Anyone care to share opinions of contracting with Auntie?

Thanks
        Those BBC roles have been doing the rounds for 2-3 months now. Had numerous agency calls about them, and yet they are still listed on Jobserve. No idea why they would take so long to fill - unless they have been filled but some people decided to walk? Who knows. All seemed a bit fishy to me, so I avoided them (and that's coming from someone who's worked for TV companys in IT for 3-4 years in his career...)

I'd go for one that could keep your SC up-to-date. OK, the "public sector" might get battered next year after the election, but I'd worry about that then, not now.

Just my two cents.

Nomadd
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

Had a sniff of a BBC contract last summer but nothing came of it.

Apparently it was to build an application that journos would use on laptops at football matches.

Sounded quite interesting, not your usual boring business app.

Comment

I was offered some work there a couple of years ago, but they would not budge on the contract terms and what I was offered would have made me firmly IR35 caught.

Was unfortunately a deal breaker for me so I passed it up and went elsewhere. They are probably one of the front runners in accessibility, I've seen lots of people use the BBC's accessibility pages as an example of how it should be done, so I'm sure you could pick up quite a lot of useful experience while you are there.

Comment

I've turned my nose up at BBC contracts in the past as they are quite low paid. Maybe now their rates look better in the dim light of the current market.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                Good luck getting an IR35 compliant contract out of the BBC.
                Just say you want the same treatment as their presenters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...-tax-rate.html

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6860238.ece

Although being 'freelance' isn't quite the same as 'IR35 compliant'.

Comment

I was on a contract at Auntie for about 8 months I think it was, about 18 months ago. Don't know where people get the idea that the contracts are caught by IR35 - my contract was through Hayes as was compliant.
                  It's a nice place to work, if a little shabby in places.Very much faded glory. And yes, you do see lots of TV luvvies around the place.
                  As for the work, well, let's just say I wasn't rushed off my feet. It's a typical public sector environment.
                  As for contracts there being advertised for a long time, I think it's legit. I've been contacted a few times recently about going back there but I'm happier at Deutsche (perversly, the money was slightly better at Auntie). The beeb use a scheduling system called OnAir, and it's very difficult to find people with any experience of the database behind it. I think that's the reason.

Comment

I worked at White City back in the mid-80's to early 90's as a Saturday job (freelance graphics operator). Had a brilliant time (mainly down to being an impressionable teenager).

Some strange quirks in the tea bars like don't ask for black/white tea as it offends our ethnic brethren. Also managed to get into to studio where certain programmes were being rehearsed for airing that evening (Jasper Carrot actively encouraged us to give feedback on his routine).

If you can, join the BBC Club. Dirt cheap booze and a chance to mingle with 'stars' and see them in their real light. As you'd expect, most are totally up their own arses.

Haven't been there since '97 so no idea what it's like now. Suspect it's even more run-down than it was when I was there.
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X