• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I Change my Agent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Change my Agent?

Hi folks

Must be a well-asked question but here's my scenario.
    Been with a client on a contract for 5 years. 3 month renewals. Looking good for a bit longer too. Agent won't budge on 15%. I'm hardly going to threaten to leave after 5 yaers years am I and he knows it.
    I think my contract says a 6 month grace period before I can ditch my agent and return to my current client but I heard that the Euro courts are beginning to frown upon this and that all contractors should be free to work as they wish?

Can I ditch my agent?
    Any tips would be welcome, thanks.

DM

have you opted out?

Comment

Thx for replying.
      I have indeed opted out.
      I fear that your next reply won't be what I want to hear???

Anyway . . .

Comment

The Euro Courts are not the slightest bit interested in freely negotiated business protection claues in commercial contracts.

If you were a temporary employee they might be, but you are not.

tim

Comment

If you have opted out, unfortunately my answer will be the one you do not want to hear....

Out of curiosity, why did you opt out? Did your agency "force" it on you?

Comment

Pretty much.
            Tax implications were mentioned if I opted in so without too much fuss, I agreed to opt out. Mind you, I have been part of a long-term all-contractor team and we all did the same despite being with different agencies. Should have read up on it, usual stuff. Can one opt back in?

Comment

I don't think you can opt back in. Not for this contract anyway.

I think (I welcome corrections if this is not true) that you are opted back in by default if you start a new contract with a new agency. I thnik that if you start a new contract with the same agency then you are still opted out by default (what they made you sign probably include "any future contracts", unless you state specifically that you want to opt back in for this new contract.

I am not surprised all the contractors in your team did opt out, most of the contractors I know have opted out, including myself, it just makes life easier even if, in some cases, people shouldn't feel forced to accept.

Comment

just to let you know - u can opt back in - you have to give the agency a weeks notice that you wish to do so - hope this helps!!

Comment

No you can't just dump the agency -not even had you been opted in.

Opting in or out just means your handcuff is either 6/12 months or 2 months. Either way it doesn't really help you.

I would have thought that 15% was a perfectly reasonable commission given the factoring risk, the loss of interest etc.
                  As long as you are happy with your rate and are being paid on time you really ought to be content. Some agencies are taking 40-50% in commission. EDS take almost 70% .

Comment

meh...

revise the contract by adding clauses that you want in to it. If they dont agree then just go direct with the company and then advise the agent that they would be paying more for legal costs than they could ever hope to get out of you in compensation :rollin

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X