• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate Increase Justification

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In twenty years of contracting the only thing that I have every found that works in gaining an increase in your hourly or daily rate is to say no to a renewal or contract offer because someone is offering you more money.

Comment

What will you do when the agent says, "well the market is still bad, so I can simply tell the client you didn't ask for renewal, then I'll find someone else who will be desperate for the job and I can probably increase my margin. Bye." ?

Comment

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
        With understanding, insight, knowledge, helpfulness and goodwill such as this it's Un ******* believable that more people don't ask for assistance on these forums.
        You think someone running a business should be asking these type of questions at all, never mind a forum?

Un****ing believable.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          You think someone running a business should be asking these type of questions at all, never mind a forum?

Un****ing believable.
          What, so someone running a business shouldn't be asking other people in similair businesses how he can increase his profit? Yeah, that works.

Comment

If the original rate you agreed was stated as a discount rate then you should be easy with stating that now you have proven yourself you should be on the full market rate.
            You can also justify the increase with your point 3. You are doing more work than the original contract stated and therefore require a rise to show that.
            They may just tell you to go away though so be prepared.

I think you know all this.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Good luck with your rate rise, especailly in these economic times.

The team here are on the same rate today as they were 4 years ago, and no, I'm not lying. The Client don't do rises. Period. (Their words, not mine)

On the brighter side, we've still got jobs and the rate hasn't gone down.
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                In twenty years of contracting the only thing that I have every found that works in gaining an increase in your hourly or daily rate is to say no to a renewal or contract offer because someone is offering you more money.
                Agree with that (but nowhere near 20 yrs of contracting for me). I have usually just moved on for a better rate.

If you have the warchest, and are prepared to take the risk, keep schtum and just tell them you're walking in the last week of your gig. If clientco likes and wants you good chance they'll toss you an extra sardine or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                  Good luck with your rate rise, especailly in these economic times.

The team here are on the same rate today as they were 4 years ago, and no, I'm not lying. The Client don't do rises. Period. (Their words, not mine)

On the brighter side, we've still got jobs and the rate hasn't gone down.
                  I'm on LESS than I was 4 years ago because the client doesn't do rate rises, but they certainly do rate cuts in bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                    and thats about your only real reason for a rise, the rest is just noise tbh, you knew the rate when offered, quoting market conditions dont hold much weight in this climate
                    WHS. All other reasons you have listed are irrelevant

Comment

You ask for a rise, agent will say no, you say OK, agent might come back with rise, agent might not.

The only thing I could say is hint to the client that you are asking for a bit of a rise rise, the agent might tell them you are being unresonable and another pile of bull.

Comment

Working...
                      X