• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody HR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody HR

Had a technical phone interview with a potential new manager last week in which I apparently "blew the interviewer away with my knowledge" then had 3 hours of interviews with HR, IT Director and the tech team. All want to hire me, even HR said I was an ideal candidate, but HR said I'm asking for too much money so for that reason they are rejecting me!!! WTF!? I am even asking below the maximum they have stated for this role, yet the HR girl believes its too much of an increase over my last rate? This was the only reason for not offering me the role and even the IT director who was the last interviewer said, "I'm sure we'll be speaking soon". In the HR interview I even got the "What is the lwoest rate you would accept" question to which I replied I'd rather leave any negotiation to later if they wish to use my services.

The thing that annoys me is the agency sent exact details of my last rate and my desired rate, so the m client could have vetoed me there and then, but instead subjected me to 3 hours of interviews!

Human Remains, always get in the way....

Are you asking for too much?
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Don't tell them your last rate. When asked, the correct answer is "Our client confidentiality policy forbids me from telling anyone. We take business confidentiality very seriously. Don't you?"

Comment

I normally blag the rates bit, but got caught out in a full vetting for a bank recently, so now my policy is complete honesty - I think I've just realised where I've gone wrong. honesty. Up until now I've always blagged it a little bit and always got the role.

Must lie harder
        Must lie harder
        Must lie harder
        Must lie harder

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
          Had a technical phone interview with a potential new manager last week in which I apparently "blew the interviewer away with my knowledge" then had 3 hours of interviews with HR, IT Director and the tech team. All want to hire me, even HR said I was an ideal candidate, but HR said I'm asking for too much money so for that reason they are rejecting me!!! WTF!? I am even asking below the maximum they have stated for this role, yet the HR girl believes its too much of an increase over my last rate? This was the only reason for not offering me the role and even the IT director who was the last interviewer said, "I'm sure we'll be speaking soon". In the HR interview I even got the "What is the lwoest rate you would accept" question to which I replied I'd rather leave any negotiation to later if they wish to use my services.

The thing that annoys me is the agency sent exact details of my last rate and my desired rate, so the m client could have vetoed me there and then, but instead subjected me to 3 hours of interviews!
          What on EARTH is the agency doing sending over your "last rate" ? Jeez - the rate is different for every single assignment - some are higher level, some are more hours, some are more dedication, some use different skills - your previous rate has no substance unless it's backed up by it being the exact same job - but even then the HR person is completely wrong to exclude you because the "increase is too much". Flaming Human Resistance - I do wish they'd do us all a favour and leave recruitment to the experts - ultimately the majority (and there are exceptions) are failed recruiters anyway - they're one level above recruitment to recruitment consultants (if you don't know how to get yourself a job, how on earth do you expect to ever help anyone else get one?!?)
          "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
          SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

You're right - she is an ex-agent - I checked on LinkedIn

The client had asked for last rates to be sent over. It stinks.

Comment

That's a fairly serious breach of commercial confidentiality.

Sue their asses.

Comment

Most likely, they were looking for a bargain i.e. somebody with more experience willing to work for a lower rate. I was a contractor for almost 10 years and my rate varied from £320 to £500 during that time. I always used to give my last rate as to what I would be willing to work for in the new role using the usual factors of market demand, what skills I was likely to acquire, location and expected longevity as guidelines.

Comment

Sorry but you've only got yourself to blame. How many times do I have to say it?

Never, ever submit yourself to more than one interview for a role!

Here endeth the lesson for the last time!
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It was one interview! But on a tag team rota for 3 hours!

Comment

Working...
                    X