• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracts in Barcelona

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it is a problem when you compare salaries from the the UK. You should be looking for at least 30000 Euros per year to have an equivalent lifestyle as earning £45K in the UK, not much but cost of living is a third. Working in Spain is not going to make you rich but then that's not what we are looking for. Take the money you earn in UK and get an easy job in Spain that supports an easy going lifestyle, tapas in the afternoon follow by endless bounter until the early hours, then you can get up and enjoy the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by xondo
      Yes, it is a problem when you compare salaries from the the UK. You should be looking for at least 30000 Euros per year to have an equivalent lifestyle as earning £45K in the UK, not much but cost of living is a third. Working in Spain is not going to make you rich but then that's not what we are looking for. Take the money you earn in UK and get an easy job in Spain that supports an easy going lifestyle, tapas in the afternoon follow by endless bounter until the early hours, then you can get up and enjoy the sun.

I had the pleasure of working in Madrid for a spell, pehaps money is not comparable to the UK but cost of living is much lower, and Madrid is , well fun !

Serious types ought not apply,Frivoloity is the key to Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by xondo
        What´s your skillset? And what kind of experiences have you had working in Barcelona?

Any tips / info would be much appreciated. I know just a couple of people here, and they are a million miles away from IT.

cheers..

Comment

I am the IT Manager for a global company based in Nottingham East Midlands Airport with offices in US, Shanghai and Hong Kong. My background has always been technical, networks, etc, but now moving towards management. I have completed MCSE and currently doing CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor). These certifications are globally recognised but don't know what the demand is in Spain.

My parents came from Spain originally so would like to go back to my roots within a couple of years. I can speak and write both languages at board level which must help.

Comment

Barcelona? - learn catalan

It would open doors for you, especially in the government projects.

There is no contract market as you'll find in the UK. That's not to say that you won't come across contractors. The salaries don't really compare, especially with the exchange rate. You will find things a lot more relaxed in the offices (at least in Madrid - Catalans have a reputation for being hard-working money obsessed). Regards permie money, what they pay will be the same as in the UK in terms of what you can do with it ie. it'll be very difficult to get a mortgage and do a whole host of other things.

BUT you have enough to live OK, and in many respects the quality of life is infinitely superior, you can't find the same relaxed attitude on the battlegrounds of Britain's city centres on a weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
              Hmmm...don't think I'll be applying for this one...

Mi nivel de Ingles hablado es bajo, en escritura y técnico es nivel medio. Mis habilidades principales son programando, documentando y de Apoyo a los Usuarios.
              Whipping that through a translation program:

"My level of Groins spoken is low, in writing and technician is medium level. My main abilities are planning, documenting and of Support to the Users."

Is the reputation of the English that bad in Spain?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I dont wanna get my head shot off in some far away land because you dont abla....comprendez?

Comment

Here is a more accurate translation using Translate Euro from LEC

My level of spoken English is low, in writing and technician is half level. My main abilities are programming, documenting and of Support to the Users.

Comment

Working...
                  X