• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Indian Outsourcers?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Outsourcers?

Has anybody experience, good or bad, of contracting for an Indian outsourcer that they would care to share please?
    Just sliding through ..........

Originally posted by MB99 View Post
    Has anybody experience, good or bad, of contracting for an Indian outsourcer that they would care to share please?
    My last contract was for Steria, who proudly claim that 90% or more of their staff are Indian. They were great at paying - after some initial haggling - and I was paid weekly, two weeks in arrears.

The hassle came at each renewal. At the first renewal they wanted a 15% pay cut. I told them shove it. They came back with a 10% pay cut. I told them to shove it. It went on like this for 10 months until we finally parted company. They had an "Indian pay rate" in mind, all the time, even for UK staff (what few they had.) I never excepted a single penny in rate reduction all the time I was with them; many other contractors excepted lower initial rates and 20% pay cuts on top. We were all let go at the same time at the end of the project development.

Nomadd
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Thank you

Many thanks for the advice. The rate is a concern because I know that the guys who come over from India are paid very badly but their allowances whilst they are working in the UK make the rate up as it were. So beware of the initial rate and any subsequent renewals, thank you.

Comment

Makes my piss boil at the way client co's have sold all British workers down the river on the alter of cheapest supplier.

And they wonder why I dont buy 'British' goods? **** right off!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Makes my piss boil at the way client co's have sold all British workers down the river on the alter of cheapest supplier.

And they wonder why I dont buy 'British' goods? **** right off!

Comment

Another sneaky little ICT abuse

TECHNICAL ANALYST LEP
            Job No:SOH/57429
            Wage £220 - £230 PER DAY
            HoursFULL TIME
            LocationSOLIHULL WEST MIDLANDS B91
            Duration Permanent
            Date posted 11 August 2009
            Pension details No details held

Description

This Local Employment Partnership employer shares information about new starters with Jobcentre Plus for statistical purposes only. See www.dwp.gov.uk for more information. We are currently looking for an experienced Technical Analyst, to support Application Transition Vendor (ATV) Programme. The ideal candidate will come from a background of application . implementation of both client server and web based technologies. Must have knowledge of UNIX all flavors and Linux. You will analyse the project documentation to ensure a thorough understanding of the technical requirements. These may include functional specifications, process flow diagrams and use cases, produced at varying levels of formality dependant on risk and complexity. This is a temporary position for 4 months with a start date of 17th August 2009.
            How to apply
            You can apply for this job by obtaining an application form from, and returning it to Online Application at Tata Technology Europe Ltd, www.tatatechnologies.com.
            Employer
            Tata Technology Europe Ltd
            Cleverly advertise in Job centre (wonder if they ever do it on Jobserve) and bring in the cheapest possible Injun. Good job!. And the govt wants us to believe its tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Bloque View Post
              Cleverly advertise in Job centre (wonder if they ever do it on Jobserve) and bring in the cheapest possible Injun. Good job!. And the govt wants us to believe its tulipe.
              I wouldn't turn down 230 a day. It kind of knocks 0 a day into the ground.
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

My concerns are

1) It is a conflicting Job advert, says both Permanent and Temporary at the same time.

2) No technologies mentioned. Client and web based could mean anything.

3) Advertised 11 Aug with start date 17 Aug and that too in Job center, I have not seen evidence on popular Jobsites. Conveniently missing the pool of IT job seekers??.

4) Asks to apply on the company's website. Which is not unusual, but no direct link or application form to the position advertised, which is usually the norm. Ok I wont complain on that.

Question is have they made effort to recruit British national? For me it doesn't look that they have. Or may be I'm just a benched right winger with more time to kill.

Comment

This is what worries me

All of the above worries me like hell. But thank you for all the warnings. Everything MUST be in writing and agreed up front, even more than usual, otherwise 'Full Time' could mean 24x7.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Bloque View Post
                    My concerns are

1) It is a conflicting Job advert, says both Permanent and Temporary at the same time.

2) No technologies mentioned. Client and web based could mean anything.

3) Advertised 11 Aug with start date 17 Aug and that too in Job center, I have not seen evidence on popular Jobsites. Conveniently missing the pool of IT job seekers??.

4) Asks to apply on the company's website. Which is not unusual, but no direct link or application form to the position advertised, which is usually the norm. Ok I wont complain on that.

Question is have they made effort to recruit British national? For me it doesn't look that they have. Or may be I'm just a benched right winger with more time to kill.
                    Oh I don't doubt that there's ways and means of "going through the motions" of looking for a local candidate (don't they just have to pretend to look for 2 weeks?) Doesn't really matter whether they advertise via the Job Centre or via Jobserve - they can invent any number of reasons for not taking your cv seriously. I've seen it suggested on another forum that the best way to approach this would be to force the recruiting company to pay say £30k a year for each imported worker on a visa. At least the country (ok government) could earn from this - and you'd suddenly find the recruiters deciding that yes we do have the relevant workforce in this country after-all.
                    Last edited by MrMark; 8 September 2009, 10:48. Reason: spelling!
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                    X