• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

c#

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru
    Is this the most boring thread ever? Do try and keep up up boys, the future is in moving up the value chain, not learning new technology.
    d'accord

Comment

If you see contracting as just some better paid equivalent of being a permie then moving up the food chain makes sense...if you want to spend the rest of your life working in IT that is.

For a lot of contractors though - myself included - the aim is simply to get in, get out, make as much money as possible and retire to plan B...in which case keeping up with the tech in the short/middle term can be one of the best things you can do.

Comment

yes, but often, moving to plan b requires skills that would not be acquired other than by 'moving up the food chain'.

Comment

I agree with Joe Black.

Ive been a box shifter, developer, lead developer, team leader, development manager.. and sometimes a technical architect...

I dont want to work in this industry forever, and if i can make 2 or 3 times the take home pay being a skilled techie, then I dont care what the role is.... thats what ill do.... in fact my CV seems to scare some people (muli-national, multi-billion pound corporates all the way, plus Oxford University) so im thinking off leaving the management side off. All I want is to take the money, deliver what the client asks for, and live my life away from all that.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
          X