• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New contract but role not as described

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New contract but role not as described

Hi

Just started a new role, however, the job that I will be doing is not as entirely described. Basically, the job description shown by the agent was much more strategic in nature and I feel very over experienced/qualified for the role. The money is fine, however, but that's not really the point.

Anyway, I have informed the agent who says he sees my concerns but suggests I see how it goes for a few weeks.

What do you think I should do?

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
    Hi

Just started a new role, however, the job that I will be doing is not as entirely described. Basically, the job description shown by the agent was much more strategic in nature and I feel very over experienced/qualified for the role. The money is fine, however, but that's not really the point.

Anyway, I have informed the agent who says he sees my concerns but suggests I see how it goes for a few weeks.

I think I've highlighted the important part there..
    A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Hi

What do I think? Stop moaning or get another job. You're not the first (nor the last) who's started a role only to find its not as expected.

A new guy working with me was brought in for a specific knowledge transfer. Guess what he's doing?

Defect management!

So live with it, its part of contracting.
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        What do I think? Stop moaning or get another job.
        +1

Comment

GIve it a few weeks, I've felt the same before and in reality they are building trust in me. One place I felt like quitting after 2 weeks and it soon turned into my favourite role ever.

Comment

The problem is I took this role (which isn't in a convenient location - 100 miles from home in the wrong direction and away from all friends) on the understanding that I would be doing much more advanced things that I am actually experienced/qualified to do and as a result, it would add to my CV rather than just being a 'filler'. However, I do take your point guys.. I will hang it out for a while - I just don't know how long I can take it and I don't want the client to later complain that I should have told them earlier. Then again, I suppose it's easier to find a job when you have one?

Comment

Unfortunately, there's always a reason why a job's being offered on contract. It's either:-

1. Temporary
              2. Niche skillset hard to fill
              3. Undesirable

Option 2 is obviously a nice contract. Problem with option 2 is that hard to fill niches mean that it's also hard to find the next gig.

Comment

Hi

Had this happen to me a couple of years ago. Job started fine, but after a couple of months the company completely disbanded it's "support" team and decided to dump all their duties on me and the rest of the team. It was an absolute pain. I did it for a few days but then got sick of it, as I was being asked to support systems I'd never seen before and they had no documentation for. It also began to impact heavily on the work I was supposed to be doing for other PMs. In the end, I had a bit of a bust-up with the IT director, and I lost my temper with him and threatened to walk, right there and then. He relented, and the role returned to what it was supposed to be. In fact, he even renewed my contract at a later date.

So, I guess it's your call. Either suck it and see, or raise your concerns and threaten to leave - knowing full well they might take you up on that. Whatever you do, though, make sure you raise your concerns thoroughly, both with the client and with the agency; also make sure you put it all in writing.

Nomadd
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

How's the war chest?

If you can do time on the bench then it's really up to you but as highlighted earlier 'THE MONEYS FINE'

Comment

My last permie job was an SA role at McDonald's Canadian headquarters.

We HAD to go and work in a restaurant as an initiation and on certain commemorative days.

I always did the worst jobs for the fun of it since I knew my wage was several times more than anybody else there.

I made fries ( the staff hated that job ) and picked up McD rubbish off the ground in the restaurant's vicinity.

In short, I loved it and laughed at the irony of my task.

When, as a contractor, they ask me to assist in a move by lugging boxes or perform some menial clerical job for two or three days - I laugh at the irony of that - and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                    X