• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Year end accounts due vs. closing accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year end accounts due vs. closing accounts

Hi people,

Need some advice.

My first year company accounts are due but within the last month I have taken a 12 month fixed term post (better then bench time), which will be a salary, pension, holidays etc.

So my question do you think I should keep the company as doormat or just close it as timing of first year account coincide with me starting this new post. I have done a search on keeping company as doormat and found the cost of this is around the £300/400 cost.

I still have some money left in the business account.

Any help appreciated**

Cheers

** Asking the board before I ask accountant
    Last edited by thelurker; 1 September 2009, 11:27.

You can get a doormat from John Lewis and save yourself £250/350.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Home+and+Ga...tCategory.aspx

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
      Hi people,

Need some advice.

My first year company accounts are due but within the last month I have taken a 12 month fixed term post (better then bench time), which will be a salary, pension, holidays etc.

So my question do you think I should keep company doormat or just close it as timing of first year account coincide with me starting this new post. I have done a search on keeping company as doormat and found the cost of this is around the £300/400 cost.

I still have some money left in the business account.

Any help appreciated**

Cheers

** Asking the board before I ask accountant
      You have a company doormat? Are you sure that is an allowable expense?

To sort of answer the question, I would weigh up the cost of closing your company and opening another one against the cost of keeping it running for a year and then closing it down anyway if you don't return to contracting then divide that by the likelyhood you will be looking for a permie job when the 12 months is up.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
        I would weigh up the cost ..
        .. and the hassle

Comment

How much should I expect to pay for year end accounts and closing the company down?

Comment

How much should I expect to pay for year end accounts and closing the company down?
            Whatever your account charges.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

A lot. I think I was quoted £300 +VAT. IN the end I deregistered for VAT, PAYE, filed my companies house annual return. will do Corp tax return at the end of this year pay tax and leave dormant.

I think thats all I need to do, but am a bit nervous of doing it myself, as apparently you are more likely to get invetigated by HMRC if you file the returns yourself. Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Whatever your account charges.

Comment

I'm in the process of closing my Ltd. down, partly because of being outside of the UK. Forget to submit some info. and all kind of legal problems can arise. That shouldn't be such an issue for you though.

Comment

Did you take all the remaining money in business account as one last dividend?

Comment

Working...
                    X