• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie .Net contracting advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie .Net contracting advice

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice for a permie who is seriously considering changing my career to become a contractor. I've been working for 7 years in .Net ranging from windows apps to bespoke web development for large firms and media agencies.

I get paid a pretty decent (for Glasgow) 40K at the moment and know I should be grateful in the current climate but I'm sick of working for companies who don't give a real damn about their employees. I'd like to work for myself and at least cash in whilst working on unsatisfying roles. I've given a lot of thought to contracting and have decided that the lifestyle is for me.

Can anyone give me any advice on how the contracting market has been this year for .Net roles in general, and if possible how they've been in Glasgow? I'd rate myself a pretty decent develpoper and I generally have no problem conveying a sense of professionalism during interviews but I'm wary of a lack of real opportunities at the moment. I've had a look through jobserve and there's nothing. Would the local agencies tend to have all the contracting opportunities kept behind the scenes or are there literally just none around?

My current plan is to save for another 6-8 months solid which would put me in a position to have the equivalent of 11-12 months of salary saved up. Then start looking for my first contract roles in April 2010. I'm wondering if I'm being overly cautious with the recession and whether I should start looking around in January instead?

Finally, i know it gets asked all the time but I still can't get a decent ballbark figure. What daily rate would I be looking for to achieve the same salary as I'm currently earning taking into account realistic factors such as average time on the bench, 5 weeks holiday etc?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, looking forward to hearing your replies!

Your financial planning is top notch
    Your timing, so so, things should have dramatically improved after April, but will still be far off the heady heights of the pre crash era
    Location, honestly if was me would not try to contract while tying myself to such a small market, be prepared to travel (as far London/Europe) or don't do it
    Rate's, Who knows in this market

Would the local agencies tend to have all the contracting opportunities kept behind the scenes or are there literally just none around?
    In majority of cases if they had the contracts they would be advertising, agencies advertise even if they already have matches on their database, just to farm CV's (hell they even advertise when they have no roles for same reason)

Comment

Originally posted by GlasgowDev View Post
      Hi,

I'm looking for some advice for a permie who is seriously considering changing my career to become a contractor. I've been working for 7 years in .Net ranging from windows apps to bespoke web development for large firms and media agencies.

[snip]
      As NotSoWise said, unless you are prepared to travel - and take the hit with all the expenses involved, just stay with what you have. As you say, you are on a pretty good deal at the moment. I'd say you are very unlikely to better that in the current environment.

For comparison, I've 3 years worth of basic salary in the bank, I've 20 years of contracting under my belt, and I already live in London - and even I'm finding the market very tough at the moment. And I'm not alone - just look on this forum for many similar cases.

In summary, thing very carefully before making the leap into contracting.

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

I'm based in Scotland, and the market is dead....utterly dead.

That being said I've just been extended to January in current client co.

£40k for .Net dev in Glasgow, to be frank, is top notch, esp if you do not have any lead responsibilities.

drop me a PM if I can be of any more help

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I feel happier now that my plan for 12 of permie salary saved before contracting is the way to go.

If anyone was to make an educated guess how long would you say we would seem to be from the contract market picking back up again?

At which point should I be able to get a feel for when is right to make the jump? Would it be based on rates or volume of offers?

Comment

At which point should I be able to get a feel for when is right to make the jump? Would it be based on rates or volume of offers?
            Combination of both, offers will go up well before rates, once you see rates start going back up you know there are more positions than qualified contractors willing to work for pennies

As to when, everyone has their own opinion, mine is offers will start going up big time after April, rates will take another 6 months though as huge amount of desperate benched contractors out there

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I feel happier now that my plan for 12 of permie salary saved before contracting is the way to go.

If anyone was to make an educated guess how long would you say we would seem to be from the contract market picking back up again?

Mate,

You just need to keep your eyes and ears wide open...there will never be a magical time to jump ship.

I am based in Scotland and the market is pretty bad, hence the reason I'm down south. Drop me a PM if you want more info as I have a mate who has managed to buck the trend and has contracted steadily for 3 years with your skillset....though he did have to dip down to NE England for a gig

KL
              "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

Working...
              X