• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Cash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Cash

Has anybody had a go with using this system?

Basic outline is:-

1. Sign up with an affiliate program
    2. Create a pay per click Google Ad driving traffic to the affiliate program
    3. Pay Google per click - 50p say
    4. Receive money back from affiliate program per click - 60p say.
    5. Make 10p profit per click.

How do you propose to achieve a 100% conversion rate on your affiliate clicks though?

Say you get a 4% conversion rate you are going to be well out of pocket.

Comment

And even if you find and affiliate that pays well for traffic instead of converted sales, (apparently) Google penalize any obvious affiliate links with a higher CPC.

edited - After a bit of Googling it looks like it may be possible if you choose your products wisely but the bulk of the sites i saw that say its a good idea are the type of sites who are trying to sell their 'secrets to earning millions'.
      Last edited by Durbs; 20 August 2009, 17:51.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post

That's just affiliate marketing. No secret, and the Google Cash thing is a complete misnomer, that is resulting in various lawsuits in the US. Facebook will cancel all adverts and close any accounts that advertise this kind of thing, I understand.

General conversion rates are around 4-5%. It is possible in niches to get higher; I had over 20% conversion rate for a specific niche that lasted a while, which was raking in between two & three times the daily contract rate at the time. But it didn't last :-) I know some people in finance leads (similar concept, but not affiliate as such) who make over £50k per month and hit £90k at times.

As Durbs said, if Google don't think your affiliate site adds any value; ie. it just a sales pitch or republished feed, then they will hike your cpc costs up over £5 per click. Also, anything that does return decent conversions is fairly saturated.

You would need to figure out search terms that are actually used AND convert well. This takes lots of work and a fair bit of cash at first (depending on the market)

Finally, many merchants do not allow you to use their name (or even the product name at times), and it's increasingly rare to be able to link directly to the manufacturer, so you have to maintain your own site(s).

It can be done, and you can make money, yes - I do; But I still need a contract at the moment.

Basically: if you hit the right niche at the right time, it's like a goldmine and the money pours in. Other times it can be soul destroying.

One good thing to think about is that the Christmas market generally booms (although will it this year?), and it's quite possible to make £20-30k over Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post

The idea was to get money from affiliate sales, not clicks.

Anyway, "Google Cash" worked effectively a few years back. Don't get involved now if you are a newbie to internet marketing. There are too many predators out there using link trackers like Google Cash Detective or Undercover Profits.

Comment

Working...
          X