• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the risk of being annoying...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of being annoying...

Any good J2EE, Java application developers with XML and XLST fancy going perm for a big Law Firm? £50k? If you even get out of bed for that? ;-)

>fancy going perm

I hope it's not an urgent requirement, and if it is, try posting it somewhere other than a contractor board.

Mordy in "Normally advice that good would be £45 an hour" Mode
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
      >fancy going perm

I hope it's not an urgent requirement, and if it is, try posting it somewhere other than a contractor board.

Mordy in "Normally advice that good would be £45 an hour" Mode
      I knew it was a long shot but some people on here talk about going perm so i thought it was worth a shot. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

A word of advice.. mention the location and responsibilities of the role as well as the technical skills...

Many times Ive been asked to put my CV forward for xxx amount of money then I find out im expected to effectively run a team of 20 in London for the same cash I can make working as a developer in the north of England.

When people dont mention the location, I tend to ignore it as its bound to somewhere expensive and / or a bad place to live.

When people dont mention the responsibilities of a role, Ive learnt that you will then be asked to be 'client facing' (i.e. consultant but on perm money), have 'mentoring' skills (i.e. a trainer on perm money), and 'team leading' skills (i.e. the person above you cant hack it and wants someone to do most of his job for half the money).
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          A word of advice.. mention the location and responsibilities of the role as well as the technical skills...

Many times Ive been asked to put my CV forward for xxx amount of money then I find out im expected to effectively run a team of 20 in London for the same cash I can make working as a developer in the north of England.

When people dont mention the location, I tend to ignore it as its bound to somewhere expensive and / or a bad place to live.

When people dont mention the responsibilities of a role, Ive learnt that you will then be asked to be 'client facing' (i.e. consultant but on perm money), have 'mentoring' skills (i.e. a trainer on perm money), and 'team leading' skills (i.e. the person above you cant hack it and wants someone to do most of his job for half the money).
          You have a fair point, my bad mate. The role is a permy thing in a global law firm doing application development in house on bespoke and 'tinkered with' apps. It's in london, £50k (ish) and you'll be a developer not a 'consultant', you'll do some in house requirement gathering and the PM has his nuts on the block not you so it's a pretty decent role in terms of permy cash and responsability.

Comment

Now thats more like the sort of info people need to make a decision on whether or not its a role that would suit them....

I receive around 10-15 emails a day where the location of the job isnt even mentioned.

For example, I live in Edinburgh, why would I be interested in a permanent job paying 30k in Southampton?

It wastes everybodies time - including the recruiters - when the basic details arent mentioned in an advert. You dont want 100 unsuitable CVs landing in your inbox, after all.....
            Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              Now thats more like the sort of info people need to make a decision on whether or not its a role that would suit them....

I receive around 10-15 emails a day where the location of the job isnt even mentioned.

For example, I live in Edinburgh, why would I be interested in a permanent job paying 30k in Southampton?

It wastes everybodies time - including the recruiters - when the basic details arent mentioned in an advert. You dont want 100 unsuitable CVs landing in your inbox, after all.....

Again, fair point mate my appologies for the lack of concrete info.

Comment

Reformation, you will find that people WILL work with recruiters if they start off by giving a proper description of a role... personally Ive recommended several people to agencies (and been paid a finders fee), when I have contacted someone about a role, but then found out it wasnt for me....

Its a bit like saying 'Flat for sale, £240,000'.

As opposed to 'Flat, freehold, Seven Oaks, 2 bedrooms, large living room, location near schools and public transport, click here for dimensions and images'.

The latter might get fewer replies, but the ones that contact you will at least be interested in what you are trying to sell....
                Vieze Oude Man

Comment

A case in point - 3rd such email today so far:

"My client has an urgent requirement for a web developer for an immediate start. You will require a minimum of web based c# and asp.net ideally slightly more experience would be ideal.T-sql,tables,stored procedures etc is also necessary. This is an urgent requirement for a minimum of 2 months work most likely to extend to over 6 months. Call me now."

Where??? How much experience - its been left out. Thats going to waste a lot of everyones time or people simply wont bother replying.
                  Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Oh for feck sake - the response when I emailed asking for the location of the role:

"please call me. this is urgent. monday start."

Trash can time.
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X