• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

just got a new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just got a new contract

Friends
    Just managed to secure a contract.I was a permie and managed to get a contract.I'm in process of setting up ltd co etc..
    just had a few queries as I'm new to contracting.
    1.My client gave me 1 week notice period in my contract is that normal ?
    2.I was told the contract is for 6 months (even at interview) but when I got a contract I got it for 3 months initially..when I asked the agent , he told me that it is a law that the company cannot give 6 month contract straight away but they do it in 3 month extensions.Is that correct?
    3.The agent gave me a opt out agreement to sign, should i sign it or no.
    4.Please suggest if I need to know anything else.

Obviously I'm aware of the risk involved in contracting but just wanted to get clarification on things

Thanks

Originally posted by beoptima View Post
    Just managed to secure a contract.

Yep. Could have been a month or none or anything inbetween. Don't worry too much; if they don't like you you'll be dismissed on the spot anyway. Welcome to contracting.
    2.I was told the contract is for 6 months (even at interview) but when I got a contract I got it for 3 months initially..when I asked the agent , he told me that it is a law that the company cannot give 6 month contract straight away but they do it in 3 month extensions.Is that correct?
    Complete fantasy. They can give you a one hour contract or a ten year contract. I suspect he lied / was mistaken when he said 6 months. Don't worry about it; if there is 6 months work you will get an extension.
    I'm not answering that. Too hard. (Although I expect it won't matter: let's see what the experts say...)
    Check what your contract says about payment terms. You don't want to be going too long between day one of the contract and getting the money, if you can avoid it.

Read the whole contract. Anything else you do not understand, copy 'n' paste it on here and seek an opinion.

Well done for getting a gig in these lean times.
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 August 2009, 22:04. Reason: Punctuat;n
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

thanks

Thanks Richard so nice of you ..these suggestions should get me started ..thanks again..
      I will wait to see what other experts say on this..

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Yep. Could have been a month or none or anything inbetween. Don't worry too much; if they don't like you you'll be dismissed on the spot anyway. Welcome to contracting.
      Complete fantasy. They can give you a one hour contract or a ten year contract. I suspect he lied / was mistaken when he said 6 months. Don't worry about it; if there is 6 months work you will get an extension.
      I'm not answering that. Too hard. (Although I expect it won't matter: let's see what the experts say...)
      Check what your contract says about payment terms. You don't want to be going too long between day one of the contract and getting the money, if you can avoid it.

Read the whole contract. Anything else you do not understand, copy 'n' paste it on here and seek an opinion.

Well done for getting a gig in these lean times.

Comment

Thanks Richard so nice of you
        I must be going soft in my old age.

The search facility on this site won't work on short words, so a search for "opt in" won't get you far. Google does a better job:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...+%22opt+out%22

I reckon if you read some of those threads and aren't:

a) more confused than you were before
        b) wondering what the point of asking you is

then I think you have missed the point!
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Legally you are opted in as you were introduced to the client and had an interview of some form before you were asked to opt out. It doesn't mater what you do or say, or sign you are opted in end of story.

The agent doesn't know his arse from his elbow and will swear blind that you can opt out when legally it isn't an option. Just sign the paperwork to shut him/her up and make sure your contract doesn't mention opt in or opt out status.

If there are any problems in the future remember that you are legally opted in and use the regs to your advantage, they may bluster but if it ever gets to court they will lose.

Comment

Congratulations on getting a contract!

Comment

Friends
              Just managed to secure a contract.I was a permie and managed to get a contract.I'm in process of setting up ltd co etc..
              just had a few queries as I'm new to contracting.

Obviously I'm aware of the risk involved in contracting but just wanted to get clarification on things

Thanks
              Thanks Richard so nice of you ..these suggestions should get me started ..thanks again..
              I will wait to see what other experts say on this..
              Experts? Here?

I am not going to say anything different to Richard Cranium.

1. I wouldn't worry about the notice period. If they want you to leave you will be out the door the same day. This one of the reasons you are charging a premium to give your client that flexibility.

There is probably is (and should be) another clause in your contract that states the client is not obliged to offer you any work and you are not obliged to accept any so if there is nothing for you to do you will be sent away regardless of any notice period.

2. If there is work to be done the contract will be extended, if there isn't it wont. See response to 1.

3. This is discussed at length, often. Have a search for opting out of agency regulations. The Professional Contractors Group do a guide but you have to be a member to access it.

Some people say don't, some will argue that it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference now you have already been introduced to the client.

4. Loads, I suggest you keep reading this forum to see what gets discussed.

I would suggest that your first priority should be to keep a close watch on the payment chain to make sure it doesn't fail leaving you out of pocket. You also need to make sure you understand your tax responsibilities, when returns and payments are due.

Comment

the only thing I might suggest is that some people are doing credit checks, in theory you only need to do it on the agency, but it might be worth doing it on the client co as well as it might show up a potential problem with getting paid.

Comment

Just managed to secure a contract.I was a permie and managed to get a contract.
                  Congratulations However I would caution that this is without the most difficult time for contracting that I have ever experienced and I've been contracting for about 10 years. Think very carefully before handing in your notice on that permie job.

It's normal for the first month but push the agent to change it to 1 month for the remainder of the contract. At least that way if they did give you the boot you walk away with 1 month's cash instead of 1 week.

Absolute crap. Ask him to give you a 6 month contract as agreed. Personally I think it would be madness to walk out of a permie job for a 3 month contarct in the current market.

Probably yes as this may be an end client requirement .

Comment

Working...
                  X