• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting comfy on this bench but I feel like I need a couch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting comfy on this bench but I feel like I need a couch

Well, it's only 3 months for me at the moment but I'm starting to like it and during the good times it seemed like a good idea to scrimp on the time off and save for rainy times that were clearly coming, when it would make more sense to have that nice long break (lower rates = lower opportunity cost, recession = cheap flights and all that kind of logical thinking).

Well, rainy days are here, my savings are earning 0.25% and while I'm enjoying the time off spending them in Australia that old worry about explaining the bench gap is creeping back. So much so I'm actually trying to get a role down under to fill in the middle of the gap rather than spend a few months seeing the country in a camper van whilst picking up backpacking 20 year olds along the way.

Is this a form of clinical anxiety or should I actually worry about getting back to London after surviving the recession backpacking in asia for 12 months? Can I use the recession as an excuse for taking time off or does it make it all the more important to stay up in the game in order to compete?

Doing open source work to keep focused while bored at home is one thing, trying to do it when there are much more exciting things to do is proving hard. Will a few blog posts or quick tutorials on CodeProject do?

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post
    Can I use the recession as an excuse for taking time off or does it make it all the more important to stay up in the game in order to compete?
    Number 1 question I've been asked by non-agents is "what have you been doing since your last contract?"

If you want some credibility, it might be a good idea to do something computer-related...or at least appear to do so.

Comment

I'd just tell them the truth. That you decided to go travelling as the recession limited opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
        I'd just tell them the truth. That you decided to go travelling as the recession limited opportunities.
        Exactly. The only wrong answer to that question is 'sat at home pressing F5 on Jobserve for 6 months'.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
          Number 1 question I've been asked by non-agents is "what have you been doing since your last contract?"

If you want some credibility, it might be a good idea to do something computer-related...or at least appear to do so.
          Just checking I'm reading the Non-agents bit correctly. Are you saying that agents don't bother asking as they know the score with contract bench time or that they or their filters dismiss you outright? Big difference.

That was my plan. It's just comforting to think that they'll see that as a sensible move.

Well, so far writing a blog with comments on the latest .Net version and features seems like a pretty easy way to appear to be keeping up with things. Putting some generic actual code up from past projects might give me a bit more credibility too. Nearest thing to a designer's portfolio. Anyone got any other bright ideas to help future blagging?

Comment

Originally posted by Funkywood View Post
            Just checking I'm reading the Non-agents bit correctly. Are you saying that agents don't bother asking as they know the score with contract bench time or that they or their filters dismiss you outright? Big difference.
            I'm not saying agents don't ask because they certainly do. But, from my experience, if they know the client just wants someone to do an urgent job and it looks like you can do it, they'll accept any old excuse to put your CV forward.

Whether they really do put your CV forward is a completely different matter.

I've just had my CV put forward for a contract role where the agent made a very big deal about what I had been doing during bench time, but said later it was only because the client had made a big fuss over it previously and had seemingly rejected other applicants based on that.

As for the filters thing, how would you know you were filtered out if they didn't contact you?
            Last edited by EddieNambulous; 22 July 2009, 14:15.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
              Never, ever tell them the truth - especially agencies.

Nomadd
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                Never, ever tell them the truth - especially agencies.

Nomadd
                This is a growing problem facing contractors particularly ones that don't have 'hot' skills. There's been times when I've been out for long periods, so have felt the need to spin the cv a bit.

Most of us have probably had agents asking whether your contract was renewed etc etc. Even had Barclays Bank getting agents to ask for reasons why contractors have been out for more than 3 mths etc. when applying for roles...

Its the agents and clients fault, they just don't give a damn and are adopting a hard and unreasonable stance ; they have no idea what's it like to be a career contractor.

Comment

Working...
                X