• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working without contract.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working without contract.

Situation for me at the moment is coming to the end of a contract, which would most probably extended under the same terms. Only problem is that they will most probably also replicate the notice period which is a month. This has already caused me to pass up two much better paying roles as I couldn’t arrive in time.
    Now talking to other contractors here, they have said that they have never renegotiated their contract after the first initial period. They just bill their agency for their hours worked and get paid, and no extension has been signed. I’m just wondering what the implications of doing this myself. My gut feeling is that they will ‘forget’ to extend but will still want me around. The only difference for me is that I contract direct with the company.

Do you think this is wise? Will it cause any IR35 issues? What would you do?

Get them to give you a renewal contract. If you don't get one and you continue to work and bill then you will defacto have carried on working under the same terms as before (including 1 month notice). But it looks bad for IR35 if you just keep working without a formal written contract. Smacks of employees who don't have renewal contract but just turn up day after day.

You won't be any better off without a written contract and you may well be worse off.

Comment

Working...
    X