• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick question can you help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    Basically I was in a negotiation discussion with an agent regarding a contract and we discussed and agreed a rate. A few hours later she called to say the client is keen to confirm an interview but due to ‘budgetary issues’ the best they can offer is a reduced amount and starts pressurising me to agree.
    I had a simular issue recently, I said no to the interview as it would have been long commute, and I was not prepared to do it for the reduced rate. I know I would have hated every day of the commute.

I gave the agent my usual reason for saying no. "The more people pay you the more they listen to you. I don't want to waste my time, at this rate they would not listen at all."

Warchest is ok at the moment, and I want 4 months off this winter, may have effected my reply.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Just to put a slightly different spin on this.

I had an agent tell me a similar tale but I wanted/needed the contract, so after some negotiations I met them halfway on the proposed rate cut.

A few months into the contract I got friendly with the client who confirmed they had indeed dropped the amount they could pay by around £80/ day, and the agent had tried to pass this onto me in entirity; in the end each of us took a £40 hit.

In other words the agent hadn't been lying!

This was one of the S3 group too who are regularly slated on here.

So even though it's usually BS, sometimes it may not be.

Comment

Working...
      X