• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making a little more space on the Test bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a little more space on the Test bench

After 7 months sitting there phoning and visiting all my contacts, proactively speaking to agents, seeking a plan B, applying for god knows how many jobs (lost count) I got off the bench after a phone call out of the blue from an agent who found my cv on jobsite.

He got me an interview (1st and only since being benched) quick smart then pestered them until I started 3 weeks later. It meant interrupting my holiday but I felt it important to sign up and get my feet under the desk asap. Plus, I was looking at the bottom of the warchest - in fact I was emptying the dust out of it!

It means staying in London during the week and some weekends but it's a 6 monther with a high likliehood it will extend.

Talk about relief.... and I was going to go for a fixed contract job too on too little money.

Just wanted to give some hope to you lot out there; there is life after the bench - didn't even get quized about it in the interview.

Rate is down 40% from previous role but it is less senior... from Test Manager to Senior Engineer.

Originally posted by middle1 View Post
    I got off the bench after a phone call out of the blue from an agent who found my cv on jobsite.
    Congratulations!

Just wanted to give some hope to you lot out there; there is life after the bench - didn't even get quized about it in the interview.
    Thank you.

Rate is down 40% from previous role but it is less senior... from Test Manager to Senior Engineer.
    Rate is up infinitely compared to past seven months

Well done.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Congratulations on finding a role.

I just wanted to offer hope to those of you still searching.

My contract was due to end in June so I put my cv on Jobserve. My contract was then extended so at the moment I am in contract.

I hadn't removed my cv from jobserve and had my 1st call from an agency this week (my cv had been on jobserve for about 8 weeks).

So, being that I havn't applied for any roles it looks like agencies are now actively searching cv's again.

Hopefully this is another sign things may be improving in the test arena.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Congratulations!

Thank you.

Rate is up infinitely compared to past seven months

Well done.
        congratulations - good to hear of another person getting a break.

Comment

Hear hear. Good stuff. Smoke yourself a kipper for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
            congratulations - good to hear of another person getting a break.
            Not me, the middle leg bloke!
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Good news!

Talking to agents recently - they seem much less down beat - they say July has been better and are expecting to see more requirements in September.

Hope they're right!

Comment

Working...
              X