• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to shut up an agent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to shut up an agent

I'm new to contracting but already I'm fed up of agents trying to tap me for references pre-interview because apparently their "reputation is on the line with this one" and I've "never worked for them before so we need to check you out".

So from what I've gathered in these forums is that it's an unwritten rule of contracting to never give out your references BEFORE the interview (correct me if I'm wrong).

What I'd like to know is how you (ideally politely) stop agents dead in their tracks when they ask for references without having to have a 5 minute argument EVERY TIME over why I'm not going to give them?

Any tips?

1)Opt out of the agency regs.

2)Tell them that you'd be delighted to give them the refs but to protect the refs and the agency you need to make sure they are only contacted after a job is offered. That way the agency will get a clean run at the refs.

3)Find an agency which doesn't require refs up front.

4)Stop using agencies, hire an office and a part time sec and get her to cold call clients for you like most other businesses. If nothing else, this will put your "problem" in some perspective

Comment

Give them your previous agents number not the end client.

They love that .

Comment

I'm thinking it'd be novel just to speak my mind.

Agent: Before we put you forward we're going to need to check out your references, you know, because, you've not worked with us before

Me: Ha! I laugh in the face of your thinly disguised attempt to get a named contact at my previous company.

Agent: No, err, that's not it at all. The client wants us to check all references before we send people their way.

Me: You said the reason was because I've not worked with you before. Which is it Mr. Agent-Pants?

Mr. Agent-Pants: Ah, you got me. Okay, I hold my hands up. I just wanted to p*** off your references by barging our way through the switchboard armed only with a name to see if they have any vacancies.

Me: You idiot. Just look on the jobs page of their web site.

Comment

Why are agents checking references BEFORE you even get an interview?

Isnt that something that happens AFTER the interview and an offer has been made?

Mailman

Comment

The impression I get is that they never do check the references before a job interview as it'd be a waste of their time.

Although some agents I'm dealing with say they need to check references before, I believe they want my references as this gives them contact names in an organisation they might be able to get some placements from and therefore commission out of. By having the contact names they can get straight to the person in charge of I.T. recruitment when they call.

This brings up an interesting question, when in the recruitment process do you give your references, and who do you give them to? Do you give them straight to the company or do you have to go through the agent?

Comment

Only give the refernces out after an interview and an offer has been made.

Never before. If the agent comes up with some bull about checking before an interview...cut your losses and move on. Obviously it was never meant to be.

On the other hand...what does our resident agent have to say on this matter? Oak, do you check references before putting someone forward for a job?

Mailman

Comment

If you think is is cosher, contact your reference in advance and get their say so.

Comment

Give your own number. Put the phone down, wait for it to ring and then give yourself a glowing reference. These boys are not bright.

Comment

Working...
                  X