• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

40% agent cut!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacjac View Post

1. Tell the client you will only work through that agency - Risk loosing the contract if the client is really pissed at them.

3. Tell the client it is their call but you would be happy to work direct if they tell the agency what is going on. - Risk that the agent will get stroppy and try and put a spanner in the works.
    Well at first I said 1. But after a call from the agent yesterday who was notably using every word under the sun. They were not please and they will no doubt be contacting the client today.

So I've gone with no.3 now. Let them sweat it out and deliver to the client what they need my assessment of the work, directly...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Progress update for those of you interested.

The agent wants me to work for them, the client would like me to work direct, but then even they do not want to cause commercial upset at they put it. However they did say after this piece of work is complete other things may arise which would be direct. So a win win situation for all I think.

I could have torpedoed the agent but I did not, they should be adorning me with chocolates or something...

This will be contract number 4 in the bag. Why do I feel like a skier admiring the cloud of gathering snow rolling down the mountain I'm standing on, thinking oh that's pretty before realising I'm about to be buried.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        However they did say after this piece of work is complete other things may arise which would be direct.
        Have you checked your contract, there is normally a statement saying that you can't go direct for X months after the contract finishes .. the X figure is also dependant on your opt in/out status ..

Comment

Make sure you opt in for this one. Since the agency have little leverage anyway there's not much pressure they can apply.

It makes going direct after much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
            Have you checked your contract, there is normally a statement saying that you can't go direct for X months after the contract finishes .. the X figure is also dependant on your opt in/out status ..
            No such clause - the agent is signing my contract.

Comment

The agent wants me to work for them...
              You PAYE then?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                You PAYE then?
                Goodness no.

Why do you ask?

Comment

Goodness no.

Why do you ask?
                  I'll let you work it out. Teach a man to fish and all that...
                  Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
                    I'll let you work it out. Teach a man to fish and all that...
                    OK let me re-phrase, The agent wants my company to provide services for their client

Comment

I think you've been overly generous to the agent, they're screwing both you and the client, you're on a much lower rate than the client was ok if not happy to pay and the client feels that the contract is plain expensive.

In your shoes I would have had no compunction over letting (even actively helping) the client totally shaft the agent as frankly the agent deserves it for taking the mickey.

Comment

Working...
                      X