• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We all talk about it but what is the right rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We all talk about it but what is the right rate

I was talking to the other half over the weekend and we started discussing the right rate, what the minimum rate was to cover all outgoings and what a contractor needed to pay for out of the money paid.

We came up with the following

Outgoings Expenses:
    1: Living wage during work and bench time
    2: Pension (or money pot for the future)
    3: Health
    4: Taxation

And after the conversation we decided that the MINIMUM daily rate that justified all the trouble that a contractor has to go through (such as paperwork, bench time, constantly applying for job, being flexible etc, etc) was

£500 (please note that this is a MINIMUM).

What are the thoughts of other posters on this........
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

My wife (also a contractor) and I aim to save a minimum of 100 Euros a day each and have done for over 10 years now. We each spend a maximum of 100 Euros a day, anything else we make goes into other projects.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post
      I was talking to the other half over the weekend and we started discussing the right rate, what the minimum rate was to cover all outgoings and what a contractor needed to pay for out of the money paid.

Outgoings Expenses:

And after the conversation we decided that the MINIMUM daily rate that justified all the trouble that a contractor has to go through (such as paperwork, bench time, constantly applying for job, being flexible etc, etc) was

Probably about half that for me...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackenedBiker View Post

Outgoings Expenses:

What about bills (e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc). I think you may need to boost the minimum to £700.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by moony1234 View Post
          Probably about half that for me...
          Yeah was what I was thinking would be a minimum for me before we started thinking.

With benchtime taxation etc that is about £25K per annum. I am not saying what is right/wrong but that does seem on the low side for a business taking a lot of risk and offering their clients a whole heap of flexibility.

That is less than a permie rate, for me at least.......

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Minimum? £200 a day - non-London of course.

Cheap? Well it's out of my hands whilst following the standard Jobserve-agency route.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
              Minimum? £200 a day - non-London of course.

Cheap? Well it's out of my hands whilst following the standard Jobserve-agency route.
              Hi Shimano (great piccie BTW).

I hear what you are saying, times are tough.

I guess what I am getting at is....at what point does a freelancer just say, scroo it I am going back to permie-dom and less hassle because the market rate just doesn't make commercial sense, all things considered.......

Comment

I think I am at that point - however I find it hard to convince a) the client and b) myself that i want to go back to permie work.

For now I'm hoping to either increase my rates when the surplus supply has gone back permie and also get a plan B up and running.

£200 a day stinks but it's better than the alternative at the moment.

Comment

I think £500 is a superb rate. I can't believe you think this is a minimum, you obviously have a high standard of living.

Around 6 years ago when I started contracting, I contracted for just over a year on a rate of between £240 and £280 in London. THis gave me a decent lifestyle and paid for me to travel around the world for myself and my girlfriend for a year. By that standard that was a very good income and one that probably over 90% of the population could only dream of.

Comment

If you've got no debts or major financial committments, you could easily get away with just over a £100 a day, which means you can be very flexible with your rates.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X