• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Commission / Markup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Another Dodgy Agent View Post
    This is one of those few scenario's where I would agree with the contractor that 25% margin is way too high. We typically charge out at 10%/12%. Nice to see the comments suggesting that "you agree to a rate, doesn't matter what the agent is charging", however it does really in this context purely because the total charge percentage wise is so high.

Myself and DA could offer a better deal I am sure, as could the other agents that post on here. Now I know it's not that easy to cross over but nevertheless scope is there.

I would talk to your line manager and see if some of that percentage could go to you, or in these uncertain times, make you more cost effective by cutting the agency margin by a wee bit?
    You and I may be able to offer a better deal, but you and I did not come up with the contract did we? Fair dos to the agent. He is the one who found the job, so he can charge what he likes as far as I am concerned. It is a pity though that he didnt admit his stake and stand up for himself.

what are you doing in on a Saturday night anyway?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

This is one of those few scenario's where I would agree with the contractor that 25% margin is way too high.
      Now I know you are not an agent. Nor do you even have experience of what is commonly charged.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        Now I know you are not an agent. Nor do you even have experience of what is commonly charged.

maybe I think a fair charge is better and yes I am an agent.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          You and I may be able to offer a better deal, but you and I did not come up with the contract did we? Fair dos to the agent. He is the one who found the job, so he can charge what he likes as far as I am concerned. It is a pity though that he didnt admit his stake and stand up for himself.

what are you doing in on a Saturday night anyway?
          True to a degree, but where does the deal/fairness end?

Mate, family, two kiddies plus wife means Saturday night is spent in!

Glad we are getting on, hate the spiteful tulip!
          I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying...

Comment

maybe I think a fair charge is better and yes I am an agent.
            Then you'd better change your profile so that we stop knowing you are actually a network admin permie, which is what you are, isn't it? You are a poor liar, too poor a liar to be in recruitment:

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Then you'd better change your profile so that we stop knowing you are actually a network admin permie, which is what you are, isn't it? You are a poor liar, too poor a liar to be in recruitment:

Trust me, 11 years working in a financial industry that would quite frankly rip most people apart, transfer agency, collective investments and mutual funds, super niche, but painstakingly demanding. I am a free man, I am not a number (just cos I have a Caterham 7) :-)

Comment

There are some words I have come to learn that mean "I AM A LIAR". They are:
                Trust me
                Liar.

, 11 years working in a financial industry that would quite frankly rip most people apart, transfer agency, collective investments and mutual funds, super niche, but painstakingly demanding. I am a free man, I am not a number (just cos I have a Caterham 7) :-)
                but you are not a recruitment agent.

Comment

Trust me, 11 years working in a financial industry that would quite frankly rip most people apart, transfer agency, collective investments and mutual funds, super niche, but painstakingly demanding. I am a free man, I am not a number (just cos I have a Caterham 7) :-)
                  You are a typical recruitment agent. You are incredibly optimistic, and you are not yet saddled with the burden of having an objective view of the market. You are also thick skinned and probably pretty thick too, and moreover you are not prone to sulking. You will do well and I actually quite like you even if I give you a harder time than most (manily because "most" tend to fight back more effectively than you do!).

Good luck
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

There are some words I have come to learn that mean "I AM A LIAR". They are:
                    Liar.

but you are not a recruitment agent.
                    Oh but I am, I fell into recruitment by accident, I was actually a speed typist - 80 words per minute, back in the day of WordPerfect 5.1 I was the "nuts" on a keyboard so was employed to do touch typing and CV typing. Before email and internet existed I used to have to type up CVs based upon what came through the door. We used to shut the agency for the afternoon if we made a placement!! Things changed when the internet became available and everyone suddenly gained an email account.

My touch typing skill stands me in good stead to this day!

Comment

Oh but I am, I fell into recruitment by accident, I was actually a speed typist - 80 words per minute, back in the day of WordPerfect 5.1 I was the "nuts" on a keyboard so was employed to do touch typing and CV typing. Before email and internet existed I used to have to type up CVs based upon what came through the door.
                      Maybe I've been living in my isolated-from-humanity, medieval-based-standards, sexist-as-hell cave for too long, but I've worked in a lot of offices over the years and have never come across a professional typist who is a guy?

Comment

Working...
                      X