• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A little assistance brainstorming please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

After working in ISP tech support (public sector) for the last 5 years I have just accepted a role supporting computer and network infrastructure in the private sector.

I am considering registering a ltd/umbrella company in order to advertise and make use of my skills for the residential and commercial market in my home town as well as work for one or two local network/internet support companies that I am acquainted with due to my new position requiring that I only work 37 hours per week.

I will work on a labour only basis and expect that my hourly fee will be around the £15 per hour mark.

Under the circumstances above, what do you think would be the best option in order for me to begin a part time career as a self employed computer and network support one man band that is able to work for the residential and commercial markets?

TIA,

Dave Watson

A garage won't get their mechanics out of bed for less than £40 per hour.

Aim a bit higher otherwise you won't be taken seriously by businesses and you will never be able to afford equipment etc.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know how you feel regarding my labor rates. I don't want to think that I am undercutting the market where I reside but like you may be suggesting, go too far under and you almost certainly leave yourself open too criticism with your competitors (who can also be your associates)

What do you think regarding the business type? LTD, Umbrella or maybe even sole trader?

I know this idea is only *small time* at the moment due to realistacally being available/wanting to work no more than 20 hours per week (on top of my current 37) from evenings and the occasional weekend but is an idea that I need to start bringing in to fruition.

Dave

Dave

Comment

Simple, limited company.

Definitely not umbrella and sole trader only an option if you are doing small jobs for many people.

If you are limited, companies won't have any problems dealing with you. May involve a lot of work initially but the flexiblilty and self-control is worth the effort.

Have a word with some accountants. An hour consultation will not cost you.

Comment

re:brainstroms

First, sit down and have a good think about who your customers are really going to be. If its mainly consumers in their homes , evenings and weekends, then sole trader may be worth while.

On the other hand you imply that you already have some good commercial contacts in your area, as OH says they are almost certain to insist on dealing with a ltd co. The IR can make things difficult for them over treating sub contractors as employees, so unless they know you well and are prepared to make an exception for you then its ltd.

I dont know about these new limited partnership things - an accountant could advise.

Comment

Re: re:brainstroms

<<requiring that I only work 37 hours per week.
            >>

and you interpret this that you are required to work 37 hrs per week ONLY.... teehee

:rollin

In private sector companies this means that you only get paid 37 hours per week, however most companies will make there damn best to make you work way beyond that !!! check the copany's culture about this before you make a commitment

Comment

brainstorming

>part time career as a self employed computer and network support

I think you have to realise that supporting somebody else's company is a major 24x7 operation. You can think small time but you'll be surprised how quick they are to call you, which may impact your normal "day job".

If your customer has a problem then they'll want you to be there yesterday. Not something you can do if you're stuck in a 37hr contract. Saying I'll be there after 6pm is not going to please your customers.

I've done it and the stand by charge was easy money but it started going pear shaped when I over stretched myself. When you start becoming successful you have a choice of going down the so called "real business" route (employing people) or stick with contracting as a one man band. Up to you really.

Comment

Re: brainstorming

£15 per hour.

Well, you will find yourself very poor on that rate once you have paid all your additional business expenses.

Also, people like you are making it VERY difficult for the rest of us.

As another poster has pointed out, a garage would not get out of bed for less than charging £40 per hour... and probably more. Basically, guys like you are bringing the whole industry down to one where we are considered cheap workers yet we work in one of the most demanding and stressful professions going.

Personally, if you continue to charge this insulting - to the rest of us - rate I hope you go out of business very quickly!

Comment

Re: brainstorming

PC world charge £35 an hour for one of their 'highly trained technicians' , and you want to charge under half of that? Make it £25 - 40. If customers sign up for lots of hours you can drop the price.

Companies won't take you seriously. Part time is no good unless you are doing something that isn't important to the running of your customers business ( I have an associate who does first line support and visits for me , I find the customers and do the pre sales. We split the profits, we have to supply a certain level of support otherwise we would be out of business.)

Comment

Working...
                  X