• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agents that hang up before speaking to you

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They hang up because they get suspicious whether you are the same guy whose time they wasted ( by keeping him on phone for 25 minutes though they did not have a real job to put him forward for) yesterday , or the day before .......

Comment

Agents have very short attention spans. After all that time wasteing name pre-amble they've forgotten what they were calling you about.

Solution: Get a separate contract phone and switch it on when you are actually looking. Keep your other private number(s) private.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
        Just get a PAYG sim, put that on cv and only turn it on when looking for roles. Otherwise keep it off
        Thanks - neat idea. Am gonna get me one of those.

Comment

I have had a few of these calls lately. I was wondering about this too.
          I would say I get at least 2 or 3 of these calls a week, on my bog standard mobile number.

I do have a yac number, but since the recession I've put my mobile number on my CV.
          threenine.co.uk
          Cultivate, Develop & Sustain Innovation

Comment

Originally posted by cykophysh39 View Post
            I do have a yac number
            Yep, that's what I have too. Nice to know it's not just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
              Agents have very short attention spans. After all that time wasteing name pre-amble they've forgotten what they were calling you about.

I suppose it could also be because they're so short of things to do that they've been told to go through the database and clear out the dead wood. Once they finally get through to you, they can tick a box saying "still a valid number". If they manage to tick enough of them each day, they get to keep their job - but with a ream of A4 printouts to get through, they don't have time to chat

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I suppose it could also be because they're so short of things to do that they've been told to go through the database and clear out the dead wood. Once they finally get through to you, they can tick a box saying "still a valid number". If they manage to tick enough of them each day, they get to keep their job - but with a ream of A4 printouts to get through, they don't have time to chat
                You could well be right there.

I now have a mobile phone/SIM card dedicated entirely to agents - no-one else has the number - and I have changed the number on any uploaded CVs and relevant websites.

I now answer and pick up the phone directly - usually within a ring or two - and...guess what...it's still happening. Not often, but enough to make you wonder what they're playing at

Comment

it's an ex

stalking you through her network of recruiter mates

Comment

Some pr*at at Reed Technical hung up half way through a conversation regarding a role today. Since it was he who called me, fairly cheesed off with the half-wit.
                    Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                      Some pr*at at Reed Technical hung up half way through a conversation regarding a role today. Since it was he who called me, fairly cheesed off with the half-wit.
                      I am not sure its Reed, but I get this type of call once in a week. Unfortunately I was not bothering much abt agency name/agent name so far. But from now I will ensure to clearly listen & note name of agency/agent before start of conversation. I am sure they will be giving wrong namesof agency/agent though.

Normally we will start conversation with customery questions like interviews attended etc..Then the question will be "whats the kind of role you are looking now..?" The question which we all try to answer with full vigor. ..But suddenly phone will be thrown to the base with big bang sound...

Comment

Working...
                      X