• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looks like I will be going permie too!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I will be going permie too!

Well I don't know how u guys & lasses are finding things? But, after 11 years contracting and plenty of ups and downs it looks like I will be going permie pretty soon. I have verbally accepted a job offer as a BA.

The market has been so quiet for me up here in North-West England even though I have spent most of my time working in the South in the past.

Most of my work has been in consultancy, design, development & testing.

But this role is as a BA with hands-on experience. So I can get some good BA experience and who knows maybe I will be contracting again in 2-3 years. :-)

I do have a pretty good war-chest but I don't want to start eroding it away.

Being on the bench hasn't been all bad as I have got myself in pretty good shape from weight-training, cycling & running!

The wife would prefer to have me around to fix things more too!

Let me know how u folks r going on?

Just taken the permie shilling myself.

After looking, there were simply no contract roles worth having unless i went to London (and i'd rather starve than do that). The ones i could see were all offering mickey-taking rates or obviously didn't exist. Once i started looking permie, the phone started ringing loads. More a move from technical to managerial for me which may be useful.

Ramping up Plan B's though and hoping to make up the shortfall that way and move towards the 'proper' business.

I really could have gone for another couple of months off but want a new motorbike and a few gadgets and couldn't justify the purchase to Mrs Durbs without being in employment.
    Last edited by Durbs; 22 June 2009, 12:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
      Just taken the permie shilling myself.

After looking, there were simply no contract roles worth having unless i went to London (and i'd rather starve than do that). The ones i could see were all offering mickey-taking rates or obviously didn't exist. Once i started looking permie, the phone started ringing loads. More a move from technical to managerial for me which may be useful.

Ramping up Plan B's though and hoping to make up the shortfall that way and move towards the 'proper' business.

I really could have gone for another couple of months off but want a new motorbike and a few gadgets and couldn't justify the purchase to Mrs Durbs without being in employment.
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

Durbs: Nice one. Plan B's are always useful even if it is emigrating!

I would work in London myself if it was a decent rate but not many are these days. Though, locals will always get first refusal anyway.

The new permie role for me is within walking distance of where I live. So that is a plus after commuting to the other end of the country for years.

My other half also worries too much about the insecurities of contracting, lack of regular income. Personally, I like the breaks between contracts (holidays) and good rates when I am in.

Comment

Well done!

Going permie is a good way of obtaining new skills for when things pick up and is better then sitting around. I think some of us who are is good long term contracts have to realise how hard it is at the moment.

pay the bills and learn new skills - who knows what newxt year may bring.
          Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Just to Say well done it is tough out there at the moment !

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
              Well I don't know how u guys & lasses are finding things? But, after 11 years contracting and plenty of ups and downs it looks like I will be going permie pretty soon. I have verbally accepted a job offer as a BA.

The market has been so quiet for me up here in North-West England even though I have spent most of my time working in the South in the past.

Most of my work has been in consultancy, design, development & testing.

But this role is as a BA with hands-on experience. So I can get some good BA experience and who knows maybe I will be contracting again in 2-3 years. :-)

I do have a pretty good war-chest but I don't want to start eroding it away.

Being on the bench hasn't been all bad as I have got myself in pretty good shape from weight-training, cycling & running!

The wife would prefer to have me around to fix things more too!

The north west is pretty tulip for roles, isnt it? Fortunately Im still with the same client without a rate cut (we even had a reduction in hours 2 years ago!) for nearly 3 years and have just been extended last month for another 6 months.

I dont take time off during contracts so for the last 2.5 years, have only had christmas and bank holidays off. But with a 160 mile a day commute Im feeling like I need a rest.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                The north west is pretty tulip for roles, isnt it? Fortunately Im still with the same client without a rate cut (we even had a reduction in hours 2 years ago!) for nearly 3 years and have just been extended last month for another 6 months.

I dont take time off during contracts so for the last 2.5 years, have only had christmas and bank holidays off. But with a 160 mile a day commute Im feeling like I need a rest.
                Take some time off or you will end up killing yourself - book a weeks holiday somewhere and relax.
                Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post

Sounds like a cushy number! They looking for any architects? I have been at the current gig for coming up to 3 years now, normally I wouldn't stick around that long but in the current environment, I am sticking it out. Though I think the writing's on the wall now, 6 month renewals are 3 months, and there is talk of training one of the perm's to take over my role.
                  Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by up4it View Post
                    Well I don't know how u guys & lasses are finding things? But, after 11 years contracting and plenty of ups and downs it looks like I will be going permie pretty soon.

That's fine, people who routinely use lolspk/txtspk/l337sp34k shouldn't be contractors as it makes the rest of us look like morons by association.

Comment

Working...
                    X