• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Dilemma

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview Dilemma

I have got an interview this Friday for a 6 month PM contract in C London. Rate is nearly 20% down then my previous role which finished in May, although am not fussed so much about this given the market.

Now, I had an interview for a permie PM role at the same place, with the same interviewer around 4 years ago. He has obviously not remembered me but I distinctly remember the interview and nearly walking out due to his and his bosses arrogance / patronising manner throughout and I also recall feeding back to the agent that there is no way I want to work in that sort of environment with those guys.

My dilemma is - 1) given the state of the market should I go for the role now given it is 6 months, it is a contractor role not permie now, the previous interview may have just been a bad interview

or 2) do I steer clear knowing what the environment will be like and wait for the next lead ( am not desperate to come off the bench) ?

Thanks for any comments

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

My dilemma is - 1) given the state of the market should I go for the role now given it is 6 months, it is a contractor role not permie now, the previous interview may have just been a bad interview

or 2) do I steer clear knowing what the environment will be like and wait for the next lead ( am not desperate to come off the bench) ?

Thanks for any comments
    Depends how much you need the money? I can put up with Satan if needed...

Comment

definitely yes..

I am sure he will not remember that incident mainly because he might be used to those type of reactions if he is really a arrogance / patronising man..!!

Comment

I would go and see how it turns out. If it starts heading down the path of the previous interview start faking tourettes or something.

Comment

Is there are new skill or anything in addition to get out of this contract?

So for example, if it was an opportunity to add some thing really worthwhile to my CV or a company that had some prestige then I would go for it.

Hope that helps and sympathise. In my case I usually find that if someone really annoyed me in an interview then they still do it in "real life" when I am working with them.

If I am getting something good out of it (and in this case it's not the money) then I can grin and bear it for 6 months.

Good luck.

Comment

I have got an interview this Friday for a 6 month PM contract in C London. Rate is nearly 20% down then my previous role which finished in May, although am not fussed so much about this given the market.

Now, I had an interview for a permie PM role at the same place, with the same interviewer around 4 years ago. He has obviously not remembered me but I distinctly remember the interview and nearly walking out due to his and his bosses arrogance / patronising manner throughout and I also recall feeding back to the agent that there is no way I want to work in that sort of environment with those guys.

Thanks for any comments
            I assume the war chest is healthy from that statement, so I would skip it. They probably need a contractor as they have sacked a load of permies so you will be doing the work of a few PM's.

That being said it wouldn't kill you to attend the interview and see if they are still twunts.
            You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Nothing ventured nothing gained in this situation.

If the guy turns out to be a tosser in this interview you can enjoy yourself telling him to get bent or take the p155 out of him. If he's reasonable you can push the rate and if he's decent then you can get a good gig with no pressure as your expectations are so low to start.

Comment

Go for it. Working for someone, and having them as a customer for 6 months, are completely different kettles of fish (unless you're worried about whether you'll get paid).

Forewarned is four-armed!

Comment

Originally posted by nevergoingtopay View Post
                  Depends how much you need the money? I can put up with Satan if needed...
                  WHS
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Thanks for any comments
                    Im surprised you're asking, its a no brainer. If you found him \ them objectionable 4 years ago, do you really think they'll have got better or worse over time?

Even if you needed the money I'd steer clear. Its only going to end in tears.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X