• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Reorganisation - New Projects / New Client Contact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Reorganisation - New Projects / New Client Contact

Clientco has recently undergone a reorganisation. The business case for extending my contract over the period was made on the basis of my domain knowledge (and security clearance) with a particular clientco business unit.

After the reorganisation I find that my services have been "poached" by a different sector, based (I would hope) on a good reputation from when I covered another project for them.

I now find myself faced with a number of concerns, both from an IR35 and "general relationship" perspective.

1) While happy to expand my project portfolio, I have not directly explicitly agreed that I would work in this domain.
    2) I would expect to enter into discussions about which projects I was happy for my company to take on. What I am faced with is an email list of four projects to pick up ( plus one from the previous domain they have now decided I would be able to cover) - based I think on an arbitrary £2m project value per Project Manager per year. I am concerned that this is MUCH more than one Project Manager's work, to run them properly, and that my service and reputation will suffer as a result of having to spread myself too thin. The answer of course is that my company is quite entitled, contractually, to take on and assign more of my own staff to cover the company's work, but I know clientco's resourcing won't work like that (it's based on head numbers x £2.5m - not total, properly quantified volume of PM work to be carried out).
    3) I have tried to raise the concerns over resource requirements for each project clientco's contact would like my company to cover. Clientco's contact doesn't seem to understand (or just ignores) the question
    4) I get email invites from clientco's contact to random, unexplained meetings (like a "knowledge and experience assessment" that "she wishes me to attend"). Nio explanation, no discussion as to why the meetings are relevant to a supplier's organisation.
    5) Clientco's contact's portfolio/resource/supplier/team management skills appear to be non-existent. There are no meetings for everyone working in the area to understand what is going on, how the projects fit in with each other and what the common issues are.

All in all I feel I am being treated like a employee-slave that will just do what I am told when I am told to do it, by someone that on the face of it isn't as qualified/experienced as I am and just doesn't have a clue.

Am I just experiencing a harsh lesson in what it's like to be a contractor working for a clueless client, that doesn't know what contractors are and how the relationship should work? Am I just moaning for no reason? As an individual I am far from happy with the situation and have low job satisfaction because I feel from the outset that I have been given too much to do properly.

Help/advice/comments are welcomed.

Sounds like they are trying to get 4 contractors for the price of one. Thats fine as long as you can achieve a rate equal to 4 contractors pay. 8 million quid should be enough to fund 4 contractors given the current market state.

The other stuff you mention - client co's expect contractors to sort this kind of thing out between them these days and not bother them with things to do with actually running the project/department/company.

PZZ

Comment

I am on an hourly rate....so they can have four contractors for the price of four....I just cannot personally do 160 hours a week.

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
        I am on an hourly rate....so they can have four contractors for the price of four....I just cannot personally do 160 hours a week.
        I would offer them a solution - ask your agent to do the donkey work that is what you are paying them for, it will save them making that call to their favorite consultancy/India....

PZZ

Comment

And hence the problem - clientco have an agreed "headcount" which means they can't/won't take more contractors on, but the way they are assigning projects amongst the limited headcountis fundamentally flawed.

My problem is how do I tell them that (I would love to say I can't take major project B on which would leave me with a logical, manageable set of related projects) without "upsetting the applecart" or putting myself in a position where they say "you will do what you are told, that's what contractors are paid for" and I say "I'll think you'll find I am not an employee who just does as he is told - I am a separate entity and you have to agree with me what I will take on"...etc etc...leading to a fatal disagreement.

Comment

Originally posted by opc View Post
            And hence the problem - clientco have an agreed "headcount" which means they can't/won't take more contractors on, but the way they are assigning projects amongst the limited headcountis fundamentally flawed.

My problem is how do I tell them that (I would love to say I can't take major project B on which would leave me with a logical, manageable set of related projects) without "upsetting the applecart" or putting myself in a position where they say "you will do what you are told, that's what contractors are paid for" and I say "I'll think you'll find I am not an employee who just does as he is told - I am a separate entity and you have to agree with me what I will take on"...etc etc...leading to a fatal disagreement.
            I know, been there, downward spiral towards the door if you are not careful. Best bet is to talk this through with the agency to see how they want to handle this 'sales' issue and get them to manage their client. Remind them that they will loose money and possibly a client if things dont work out.

If that doesn't work then its save yourself time and start with a fully worked through project plan that clearly demonstrates that the projects cant possibly be done with the current resources and see if you can negotiate postponing some of them so that they dont all run concurrently.
            Also mention the risk to the business of all the projects failing to deliver the perceived business benefits due to the lack resurces. Is it possible to get some supplier to deliver some parts of the project to lighten your load by providing some sub project managers as part of the deal??

Probably more that I can think of in the morning.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
              If that doesn't work then its save yourself time and start with a fully worked through project plan that clearly demonstrates that the projects cant possibly be done with the current resources and see if you can negotiate postponing some of them so that they dont all run concurrently.
              Also mention the risk to the business of all the projects failing to deliver the perceived business benefits due to the lack resurces. Is it possible to get some supplier to deliver some parts of the project to lighten your load by providing some sub project managers as part of the deal??
              PZZ
              Thanks, I think this is a good approach - solid planning reasoning rather than my current tack which is asking the client what the envisaged/required PM resource level is for each project (which they obviously have not worked out).

It may be that I can highlight the need for business analyst resource to take some of the strain, so I am only doing PM duties and not a dual role.

Comment

Working...
              X