• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And Yet Another One

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Yet Another One

Just had a phone call, supposedly Simon from Hays IT.

Starts talking about a government contract on 500 a day interviewing by phone first tomorrow.

Half way through the speal he comments on my shortly ending current position and how he used to recruit for them some time ago.....

Wait for it!

Then says that in order to progress the client would like a reference etc...

I told him my policy on this and that they would be provided upon an offer of the job. He advised he was going to mail the job spec of which I haven't seen yet (in over 2 hours)

Wonder if there was a job, or if Simon at Hays really existed!!!

They must take all contractors for idiots
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Recruitment consultants were sent to punish us all!

Originally posted by Crusoe101 View Post
    Probably not, but if one in one hundred fall for it then all they need to do is make enough calls.

If you throw enough mud, etc, etc.

That is how all the sales people trying to flog low value items that I have ever met are like. They just try to throw enough mud and don't take rejection personally.

Comment

They do this because some are.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...s-get-job.html

Comment

Double glazing, home insurance, gas & electricity, IT contractors <insert any crap you can think of> etc all sold the same way- just keep calling 'till you have sold enough and then go home for the day.

I watched the Boiler Room for the first time in ages the other night and reminded myself what a dirty business we are all in...

PZZ

Comment

I did have a couple of people ringing me pretending to be Hays a couple of months back, when I was benched. Scary bit was when one started telling me about a wonderful vacancy that I had just gone for interview through - yes you've guessed - Hays!!
          Person was completely unknown there. However they were very interested in getting details of anyone pretending to be Hays. They had it a couple of years ago as well.

Not quite sure what you gain pretending to be part of an agency you aren't - or how you gain! Surely the "email me your cv & references" bit fails when you cannot supply a corporate email address?

Can someone elaborate?

Comment

Starts talking about a government contract on 500 a day interviewing by phone first tomorrow.
            This is where you should realise it's certain bulltulip. I'm not saying 500 is unattainable, rather it's on the high side and he is being too upfront about it.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by dmini View Post
              I did have a couple of people ringing me pretending to be Hays a couple of months back, when I was benched...

Not quite sure what you gain pretending to be part of an agency you aren't - or how you gain! Surely the "email me your cv & references" bit fails when you cannot supply a corporate email address?
              I have also had some of this. In one case the agent emailed me from a Yahoo! address despite me having phoned him at his desk at the agency (no, I don't have the details any more, dammit, otherwise I would post them here now). I expect he was populating his 'personal' copy of the agency contacts database prior to leaving.
              If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
                If you read the thread again you will notice that I didn't send any references.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  This is where you should realise it's certain bulltulip. I'm not saying 500 is unattainable, rather it's on the high side and he is being too upfront about it.
                  Depends what your working as I suppose. Plenty of 500+ roles out there just that they don't ever get to the advert stage they are taken by people that "know a guy".

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                    Depends what your working as I suppose. Plenty of 500+ roles out there just that they don't ever get to the advert stage they are taken by people that "know a guy".
                    Totally agree - the 3 interviews I've had in the past couple of months came by direct contact from the agent before the post was advertised. Incidentally, all 3 roles were local which got me to thinking that local contractors would obviously be asking for a lower rate than one who had a 200 mile commute. So are the agents now targetting the locals first rather than the ones with the best cv's?
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                    X