• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quick question, you can help?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question, you can help?

Hi,

A bit of background....

I got a phone call from a mate on Monday about testing telecoms role I did a number of years ago, she gave me a telephone number and the name of the HR person. I had a chat with the HR lady and she was keen to see my CV and wanted to put my details forward to the head of department. The role is a permanent role through the preferred supplier and I've been on the bench for ages. The HR lady also told me they are VERY VERY keen to get people on board ASAP; I also know another old colleague will be starting in August.

I got a phone call yesterday from their preferred supplier stating that the client had spoken to them about me (the agent was also trying to fish for information as who 'knows me', but I decided to keep this card to my chest) and asked me the standard question what rate I was looking for. I told the agent I was on a contract in my last role. I replied 'how would that information help you? and I asked 'what rate are you offering?' She became very evasive after a bit of discussion she told me the rate they were offering for the role was and was really pushing to find out if I was interested. I informed her that I would need to see a job description and let her know.

She emailed me the job description and mentioned the client wants to see me tomorrow or Monday. I got a feeling in my gut that something wasn't right about the salary rate offered.

Now point is this...

I've done a bit a research and I found the salary offer was at the lowest end of the scale for a testing role and that the average is about £5K extra.

I want to ask the agent how she came to the salary figure she quoted me? the market is paying £5k extra even in these 'interesting times'.

I'm just not sure what's the best strategic way to go about this? Does anyone else have any good suggestions?

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
    Hi,

A bit of background....

I got a phone call from a mate on Monday about testing telecoms role I did a number of years ago, she gave me a telephone number and the name of the HR person. I had a chat with the HR lady and she was keen to see my CV and wanted to put my details forward to the head of department. The role is a permanent role through the preferred supplier and I've been on the bench for ages. The HR lady also told me they are VERY VERY keen to get people on board ASAP; I also know another old colleague will be starting in August.

I got a phone call yesterday from their preferred supplier stating that the client had spoken to them about me (the agent was also trying to fish for information as who 'knows me', but I decided to keep this card to my chest) and asked me the standard question what rate I was looking for. I told the agent I was on a contract in my last role. I replied 'how would that information help you? and I asked 'what rate are you offering?' She became very evasive after a bit of discussion she told me the rate they were offering for the role was and was really pushing to find out if I was interested. I informed her that I would need to see a job description and let her know.

She emailed me the job description and mentioned the client wants to see me tomorrow or Monday. I got a feeling in my gut that something wasn't right about the salary rate offered.

Now point is this...

I've done a bit a research and I found the salary offer was at the lowest end of the scale for a testing role and that the average is about £5K extra.

I want to ask the agent how she came to the salary figure she quoted me? the market is paying £5k extra even in these 'interesting times'.

I'm just not sure what's the best strategic way to go about this? Does anyone else have any good suggestions?
    Just tell them the rate you want! They are going to offer you at the lowest rate to make sure they get their cut.

Don't be shy just say I want £X for the role.

Comment

Hang on, didn't the OP say that this was a permanent role?

In which case the pimp will be paid a percentage of the salary offered and will do everything in their power to get that as high as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
        In which case the pimp will be paid a percentage of the salary offered and will do everything in their power to get that as high as possible.
        Not if it means scaring the client off with excessive salary requirements. Less commission is better than zero commission.

Comment

I got a phone call from a mate about testing telecoms role

I had a chat with the HR lady

I got a phone call yesterday from their preferred supplier

Why are you going through an agent at all?

Go direct.
          If you read the best 3 books in any subject, you'll be in the top 5% of experts in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
            Why are you going through an agent at all?

Go direct.
            I would have in a shot, but the the HR lady decided she wanted to go through the agency after I had my inital chat with her. I have no idea what possessed her to make that decision
            Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 11 June 2009, 08:47.

Comment

I would have in a shot, but the the HR lady decided she wanted to go through the agency after I had my inital chat with her. I have no idea what possessed her to make that decision
              Less work for her, and she does not have to let you go, quick call to the agent and you are gone.

HTH
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
                Less work for her, and she does not have to let you go, quick call to the agent and you are gone.

HTH

That's what my gut is telling me as well.

Comment

If you ask them "how much do you want to pay" they are bound to start at their lowest figure. They are probably semi-expecting you to push back for the extra £5 to bring it to market rate.

Comment

Working...
                  X