• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiple Industries or One?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Industries or One?

I would appreciate your feedback. My CV is 10 or 11 years of contracting within various industries - Investment Banking, Broadcasting, Telecommunications, Insurance and now public sector Health. I worry that with I am getting too much diverse experience rather than concentrating on one industry. I have 1 or 2 years in each, rather than 6 or 7 in one. I'm a Test Manager...so what do you think? Am I advantaged or disadvantaged? Thanks in advance.

All depends how you 'market' yourself and CV. Various guides on CUK

Personally I'd have the wide and varied industry experience you have. You're instantly more marketable.

KL
    "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

My particular set of skills has allowed me to operate in 3 very different industries...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I would say better for you if you're a tester that you've worked in different sectors rather than just one only - it means that you are quite adaptable and can fit into virtually any business domain.

Comment

In theory you should be advantaged.

However I have found pimps like to pigeon-hole people. Which is very annoying.

Comment

I should think a few years in any industry should give you enough background for ancilliary roles in that sector i.e. I'm not sure somebody with 5 years of telecoms order processing test experience would necessarily add a lot more value than somebody with 2 years (assuming total equivalent levels of experience).

Normally for any role you'd be best off tailoring your CV to emphasise experience in the target sector, and if you have decent experience in several, then this obviously opens up a few more doors.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              In theory you should be advantaged.

However I have found pimps like to pigeon-hole people. Which is very annoying.
              WHS+1000.

I keep getting emails from pimps about going to do copulae models - I've done one in my entire life FFS (and even that didn't work particularly well!).

Comment

Just one industry at a time is best...

...the industry that has paying clients with contracts in their hand that is.

PZZ

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                  WHS+1000.

I keep getting emails from pimps about going to do copulae models - I've done one in my entire life FFS (and even that didn't work particularly well!).
                  copulae
                  copulatis
                  copulum
                  copulate - that's better.

There you go, sorted. No need to thank me.
                  Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

I think it's great to work in lots of industries. If you need to present a 'direction' then signal one or two as your primary industries.

Eg for an IB contract: "I primarily work in Investment Banking and Insurance, but I also have experience within Telecoms and Public Sector (Health)".

Change for other industries. IBs are obviously the most fussy, probably followed by Public Sector, in my opinion.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X