• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working for a UK Company whilst in NZ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working for a UK Company whilst in NZ

Hi,

I emmigrated to New Zealand from the UK back in March 2007 after 10 years as a contractor. I worked latterly in the Defence Industry (DII / DCSA / etc) and held various levels of clearance. I realise that these have now lapsed, but I am now looking for opportunities back in the UK, whilst not actually physically returning there. Specifically, I am looking for Network design, review and solution work that could be undertaken remotely.

Does anyone here have any experience of trying to source work whilst overseas?

Cheers...

Getting UK work while 'offshore' is the holy grail of contracting, and I have heard of it happening (and will aim to do that myself after a few more years in the UK), BUT in all the cases I know of the agreement was arranged back in the UK BEFORE the lucky person moved to NZ/Oz.

Maybe approaching some of your previous Clientcos could yield some result, but doing it from scratch from here... well, good luck with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan.goodvibes View Post
      Getting UK work while 'offshore' is the holy grail of contracting, and I have heard of it happening (and will aim to do that myself after a few more years in the UK), BUT in all the cases I know of the agreement was arranged back in the UK BEFORE the lucky person moved to NZ/Oz.

Maybe approaching some of your previous Clientcos could yield some result, but doing it from scratch from here... well, good luck with that.
      I have done some work offshore for UK companies, but it has always been for previous clients, arranged before I left.

I did look for work while away, but it never worked out.
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I had a 3 month gig last year, that continued for another 6 even though I'd left the country but chances of getting one without meeting the team is v. slim.

I'd say your only chance is to get in touch with former clients where you already understand their systems.

Needless to say I'm keeping in good contact with my former client, offering free phone consultations on anything that I can likely answer in a couple of minutes that would take another dev an hour to figure out. Pretty unlikely that they'll bother with but if things pick up again I hope they'll think of me.

Comment

Working...
        X