• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I ask for a rate rise...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johngt View Post
    Thanks all for you suggestions.

For example If i ask for a 10% rate rise, will the agency in turn speak to the clientco or will they take a cut on their margins as still they will be left with a good 10 % Margin...

I would like to be in a situation where agency cuts back their margin rather than clientco increasing the rate.....But i am not sure how it works....
    Aye, they'll speak to the client.

My last role was a long one with lots of renewals. Most renewals i wasn't really bothered about staying so i'd just tell the agent 'don't really fancy it, but would renew for another 20 a day, see what they reckon'. Each time, they came back asking me to write a note to clientco to explain how great i am and why i warrant a rate rise. Got the raise every time.

Tried it once mid-contract but no joy.

Comment

Thanks all for you suggestions.

For example If i ask for a 10% rate rise, will the agency in turn speak to the clientco or will they take a cut on their margins as still they will be left with a good 10 % Margin...

I would like to be in a situation where agency cuts back their margin rather than clientco increasing the rate.....But i am not sure how it works....
      It works like this:

1 - You tell the agent what rate you will be billing come renewal.
      2 - You negotiate.
      3 - You let the agent know, during said negotiations, that you don't care whether the agent cuts their margin or goes to the client as that's their business, not your's.

That's about it really, nothing to it. The hardest bit is knowing where your own line in the sand is...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        It works like this:

1 - You tell the agent what rate you will be billing come renewal.
        2 - You negotiate.
        3 - You let the agent know, during said negotiations, that you don't care whether the agent cuts their margin or goes to the client as that's their business, not your's.

That's about it really, nothing to it. The hardest bit is knowing where your own line in the sand is...
        Thanks all for your suggestions. I am feeling much better now and all set to ask for a Rate Rise....as suggested in rather a diplomatic way...hope it all work out ...

Any suggestions on when should i approch....my contract on papers ends 23 July....

Comment

Any suggestions on when should i approch....my contract on papers ends 23 July....
          It's a subjective thing. I tend not to bother until at least 2 weeks before renewal. Other's will differ.
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
          X