• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 'Virtual Bench'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'Virtual Bench'

My will to live is slowly being eroded by shiny suited RC's.

Just had a call regarding joining the 'virtual bench' of one agency. This led to a question of could we meet, which then led swiftly on to '2 REFERENCES PLEASE'.

The funny thing is the same bone head had rang me not 2 weeks ago and read, effectively word for word, the exact same spiel.

It seems geared to catching the unwary and thinking about is a very sly exercise in getting info from people.

He received the same answer this time as he got last time, no sodding references and I only meet when there is a contract on the table.

Anyone else had this?

do they rhyme with Deck Systems or Ballegis? one of whom is a sub of the other

Comment

oh yeah, reason I ask is because they are total Kunts

Comment

Originally posted by merrsh1 View Post
        My will to live is slowly being eroded by shiny suited RC's.

Just had a call regarding joining the 'virtual bench' of one agency. This led to a question of could we meet, which then led swiftly on to '2 REFERENCES PLEASE'.

The funny thing is the same bone head had rang me not 2 weeks ago and read, effectively word for word, the exact same spiel.

It seems geared to catching the unwary and thinking about is a very sly exercise in getting info from people.

He received the same answer this time as he got last time, no sodding references and I only meet when there is a contract on the table.

Anyone else had this?
        Yep, it's becoming par for the course.

It's got so bad that yesterday I just jotted my "no references/contacts" down in a little Notepad file so I don't have to keep repeating myself. I just cut-n-paste this into emails back to the agents now.

In my little letter I also refer them to the forums like this one and others which show the level of annoyance contractors feel about these "fishing" tactics. That's seems to make the point to them perfectly - i.e. they've been rumbled!

Nomadd
        nomadd liked this post

Comment

After reading your post I was just about to write on a disk that I had just burnt but I had to stop because I started to giggle.

FFS, 'Virtual Bench'. I am so glad that I don't have to put up with this anymore. From the stories I read on CUK I know that if I was still in the contracting business (I stopped over 5 years ago and now run a ... ops ) I would be aproaching the point where I would be admitted to the loonie bin.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Yup, thats them. Toss Pots.

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

After reading your post I was just about to write on a disk that I had just burnt but I had to stop because I started to giggle.

FFS, 'Virtual Bench'. I am so glad that I don't have to put up with this anymore. From the stories I read on CUK I know that if I was still in the contracting business (I stopped over 5 years ago and now run a ... ops ) I would be aproaching the point where I would be admitted to the loonie bin.
            I agree, I'm considering jacking in and working for myself full time. In the past I've been 50/50 contracting and freelance. I keep looking at contracts and its all a load of toss. Crap rates, crap people and crap work.

At one point he said, with no irony, "How would you feel about being admitted to our virtual bench".

IT'S VIRTUAL YOU TWUNT IT DOESN'T EFFING EXIST. FFS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Ha! Been slimed all over by their toss-pots recently.

'We do things differently' blah blah ' 2 technical references' blah blah 'do this test' blah blah 'meet up for a coffee'.

wtf?

That last bit sent shivers down my spine. The koonts expected me to travel 30 miles for a coffee and an obvious attempt at wringing some names out of me! Total and utter creeps.

Comment

Though I would happily give up a rolodex full of "references" when offered a fake contract, doing it for a place on a fake bench is a bridge too far.

Comment

Originally posted by merrsh1 View Post
                  Anyone else had this?
                  Yes, and my answer is always as follows ...

Just had a call regarding joining the 'virtual bench' of one agency. This led to a question of could we meet <CLICK...>

Comment

Working...
                  X