• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

company sharedealing account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

company sharedealing account

How Do I open a share dealing account in my company's name.
    I have checked some brokers websites but they seem to offer only personal accounts.
    Anyone doing it ?

Forget that idea - it's a serious non-runner.

You'll have more grief that you could possible believe.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Forget that idea - it's a serious non-runner.

You'll have more grief that you could possible believe.
      Why do you think so?
      The other option is to earn 2% interest on the money which is not very appealing.

Comment

This may help; Accounting Web: Investing Company Money

Last comment is good:
        You also have to think what you say to HMRC when they receive information from the bank to say that the director has received some interestand it's not on his return. Are you up to arguing against incorrect return from the director, section 419 and incorrect P11Ds. You also have to consider what the investment house will think when they have been asked to provide an investment under false pretences. What about a SAR for SOCA.

As I said, I've seen it done more than once and have had to dig clients out of problems. The time and worry has cost more than the saving but I bet you can still get the advice from that well known firm of" My Mate Down the Pub"
        Terms:

SOCA - Serious Organised Crime Agency
        SAR - Suspicious Activity Report

Trust me on this one - forget the whole thing.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I have one set up with Barclays Stockbrokers. In the company name, so no issues with declaring income that is not mine. It isn't, it belongs to my company and is declared as company income.

Simple.
          "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Even if the account is properly in the company etc the tax positions is arguably not as generous as for individuals, further there is the risk of find out you are no lownger owning a trading company but a cloded investment company. I am sure there are circumstance where there is advantage, but I suspect they are unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              Even if the account is properly in the company etc the tax positions is arguably not as generous as for individuals, further there is the risk of find out you are no lownger owning a trading company but a cloded investment company. I am sure there are circumstance where there is advantage, but I suspect they are unusual.
              AFAIK as long as my investment income is less than my contracting income , it will not be classed as investment company.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
                I have one set up with Barclays Stockbrokers. In the company name, so no issues with declaring income that is not mine. It isn't, it belongs to my company and is declared as company income.

Simple.
                So I guess there are no issues in transferring company money to share dealing account and putting it back ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                  AFAIK as long as my investment income is less than my contracting income , it will not be classed as investment company.
                  If you truly meant income I think it would be likely that you would have become an investment company rather than a trading compnay long before you got anywhere near your contracting income. [In any event that point may be moot since by then the portfolio value would likely be well into 7 figures and you would be likely to have lost the small company exemption due to the value retained anyway]

If you meant portfolio value < contracting income then I have heard that expressed as an opinion, but no hard and fast rules (what's new there...)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    So I guess there are no issues in transferring company money to share dealing account and putting it back ?
                    Provided there is an audit trail in place then it should not cause any problems, but remember you are dealing with the companys capital assets not revenue items.

Comment

Working...
                    X