• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What leads to contract extension..??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What leads to contract extension..??

Hi Guys,

I thought I will try to unravel what prompts clients to extend contractors for many years. From my experience its not just good work & need of that person alone. I would say contracts never get extended just because of good job alone.

One of my previous job I end up carrying out activities previously taken care by 3 permies..!!. Because of this those permies moved to new roles. I thought this will make my position untenable & permies around me also will be happy. But I soon realised the opposite & they were plotting against me in no time.

Any one with similar experience..??
    I mean how to impress or what could be done for client to get contract extended with out any trouble continuously..??
    Last edited by Darren_Test; 26 April 2009, 17:06.

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    One of my previous job I end up carrying out activities previously taken care by 3 permies..!!. Because of this those permies moved to new roles. I thought this will make my position untenable & permies around me also will be happy. But I soon realised the opposite & they were plotting against me in no time.

I think you have answered your own question here !

Comment

Personality, approach, attitude helps so some folks are more likely to get longer contracts than others simply because of who they are. I know some highly skilled folks who don`t last that long - one has been sacked from last three contracts by either being marched off site or they had a phone call from the agency after leaving work telling them that they are no longer required - without any notice.

No matter what, you can always fall victim to 'lack of funding', once the pot of money has gone you`re out the door .

I like long contracts but if I stayed very long with a company I`d think they are doing something a little wrong. I know someone who has been with a client for 13 years on decent rate. That`s great for them but come on............

Buy some dodgy drugs, make friends with a doctor. Close to renewel time start making the tea and drop a pill or two into the drinks. You`re bound to get an extension if half of those around you go sick for a while

NOTE: DONT DO WHAT I HAVE SAID BECAUSE IT IS WRONG BUT IF YOU DO PLEASE SEND ME MONEY IF IT WORKS

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
        Personality, approach, attitude helps so some folks are more likely to get longer contracts than others simply because of who they are. I know some highly skilled folks who don`t last that long - one has been sacked from last three contracts by either being marched off site or they had a phone call from the agency after leaving work telling them that they are no longer required - without any notice.
        Well SuperZ...your points are correct. But what about the good job you have done for the client..? Should that not be the prime criteria for extension..??

Also when you work with lazy permies around you how can you work efficiently with out exposing their lacklustre performance..?? which in turn will hamper your extension...!

Or should we prepared to treat them differently ..
        - one set for doing job (other contrcators & newbie permies)
        - one set for having long breaks & gossips...!!

Comment

The contract I'm just finishing seems to be genuinely project based. I.e. the project's done, and there's no more work. Which I guess is how it should be. All the other contracts I've had (especially the one that lasted 18 months), it's obvious that what I've been doing ought to be a permanent role.

So I guess the answer to the question is: mis-management leads to contractors staying on long term.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It just depends on the client.

I know of one client where a contractor had been extended a number of times in an 18 month period. He transferred to another project with the same client and was eventually terminated before his contract ended due to poor work.

He's recently been taken back on by the same client or rather his original PM at the same client site who couldnt be arsed to advertise and interview new candidates for the role.

Some clients will extend while they have the work, some will extend in the hope that new work comes along and some will get rid because of a feeble excuse.

Oh, and btw, the terminated contractor isnt me although he works for the same client as me!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              It just depends on the client.

I know of one client where a contractor had been extended a number of times in an 18 month period. He transferred to another project with the same client and was eventually terminated before his contract ended due to poor work.
              Yes..thats a fair point...But while renewing contract if client got 2 contractors & intend to renew only one..will they weigh how he/she done job so far or just based on personal rapport..???

Most of my contracts were around 9 months duration ie 2 extns..none goes beyond 1.5 years..many times hiring managers asked why my contracts are of "shorter" duration even though i tried to convince them that 9 months means 2-3 extensins as now a days most contracts are for 3 months..

Comment

It doesn't matter how good you are, if everybody hates the sight of you, you are out on your ear.

Remember nobody is irreplaceable. Your replacement may not be as qualified as you, as fast as you, or as witty as you, but they will do enough to do the job to an acceptable enough standard. If they don't they can always be replaced too....

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  It doesn't matter how good you are, if everybody hates the sight of you, you are out on your ear.

Remember nobody is irreplaceable. Your replacement may not be as qualified as you, as fast as you, or as witty as you, but they will do enough to do the job to an acceptable enough standard. If they don't they can always be replaced too....
                  well..so be in good book of permies around you by all means...even by compromising your own contribution...best way to make a lazy permie happy is work like him only..never better than him...!!

But then how you will convince your hiring manager that you worth extension..??The reason why he opted for a contractor may be due to lazy permies not doing what they are supposed to do...Now contractor too in sync with permie .. working like a permie..! Chances of extension slim in that way either..
                  Last edited by Darren_Test; 27 April 2009, 08:48.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    The contract I'm just finishing seems to be genuinely project based. I.e. the project's done, and there's no more work. Which I guess is how it should be. All the other contracts I've had (especially the one that lasted 18 months), it's obvious that what I've been doing ought to be a permanent role.

So I guess the answer to the question is: mis-management leads to contractors staying on long term.
                    Bingo!

Last gig of mine one contractor had been there 21 years. Still thought of himself as a contractor as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X