• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 contracts on offer - any advice which one to take?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 contracts on offer - any advice which one to take?

Hi guys,

been benched for 6 weeks and i've had a few interviews. Got 2 offers but both are completely different.

Offer 1: 6 month fixed term contract with probable extensions, doing stuff i've done before but involves a 33% cut from my last role. I know some people who work there and they've not been exactly glowing about the place. No definite start date

Offer 2: Advertised as a 6 month rolling contact, turns out in the interview it'll probably be only 6 weeks. Work is fairly different to what I've done before but maybe it's a good chance to get new experience. Prob be an immediate start. The kicker with this is it's twice the rate as the other role.

Any thoughts on this? My war chest is a little lighter than i'd like it to be so wouldn't be too keen on facing another spell on the bench so the logical choice would be offer 1 but i'd be interested in other people's opinions or suggestions?

TIA

Ltd Ability

From your descriptions, offer 1 holds no interest for you.

Total term of the contract means that you'll earn half the total value from contract 1 in 6 weeks in 2 and you'll maybe pick up new skills and new contacts.
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

I'd go for option 2.

You'd actually be earning three times what you'd be earning in option 1 (reading between the lines) meaning that 6 weeks of option 2 is the equivalent of 18 weeks in option 1.

Odds are that if you could impress in option 2 you'd get extended but even if you were out on your bum after 6 weeks, you'd effectively have earned yourself 12 weeks/3 months bench time in which to find a new contract.

Then factor in costs/actually having to get off your arse etc etc

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I think i'll go for the second offer and see how it goes!

Comment

WTS.
          I've found that contract durations tend to be flexible. You could take option 1 and find that it lasts only 3 months, or budget runs out etc
          Likewise you could impress in option 2 and find that other doors open and you are extended, perhaps onto another related project, perhaps in a slightly different capacity.
          Either way, after 6 weeks in role 2 you'll have a further six weeks money "in the bank" compared to option 1.
          Guess it's like points in the league vs games in hand, and in this feeble metaphor points on the board is the option 2 day rate, and games in hand is the option 1 duration.
          Poor, I know.

Comment

Option 2 for the above reasons.

Tell option 1 to wait 6 weeks.

Comment

Whatever is most definite and starts first and has best rate. That means nr 2 if you've got an immediate start.

In contracting, nothing is definite, until it's definite, and even then, that does not necessarily mean it's definite.

Comment

Also, presumably Option 1 you will be PAYE which is even worse if you usually work through a Ltd Co.

Comment

Take 2

Comment

2 all the way for me
                    Signatures.....what's the point?

Comment

Working...
                    X