• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advantages/disadvantages of written contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advantages/disadvantages of written contract

Hi,

I've been in a contract for the past 9 months or so, earning £350/day as a .Net web dev. The IT Director is an ex-colleague, from a previous permie role, and a very good friend whom I trust implicitly. I also get along very well with the Director and CEO etc. There is a lot of work still to do and I imagine there is at least another 3 months of work before they get around to procuring the necessary permies to replace me (and increase team size, not saying i'm worth more than one permie...). Come the contract ending, at worst I would take the permie role with them, at best move on to a similar contract position.

My accountant has, in the past, advised me that I should get a written contract to cover myself, but when I ask more about why that is, I get no answer. My question is: does not having a written contract which passes IR35 leave me in danger of being "done" for IR35? Or is he simply stating it for reasons of covering myself against the company getting rid of me all of a sudden, or refusing to pay my invoices etc?

I realise I should just ask my accountant - but I've tried a few times and am tired of trying to get an answer out of him on it!

Many thanks,
    Burns

Working...
X