• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing Agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Agents

I've been told by my current client that as my agency is not on their preferred supplier list they would be unable to process an extension. They hinted that they would like to give me an extension, but they would probably have to go out to their preferred supplier list.

So, the only option I have is to leave my current agency and go via one of their preferred suppliers.

I'm sure my current contract says I can't do this (I'll need to check), but I wonder if this is legally enforceable. Surely my agency cannot prevent me from earning a living.

Has anyone else done this, is this a common thing? If so, how do I go about doing this and what are my options.

Would I get a preferential rate from the Agency? I am basically coming to them with a client and a contract and they just have to process the paperwork.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Happens surprisingly often, this. The agency will bitch like hell and more than likely threaten you with legal action, but in reality there isn't anything they can do. Certainly when it happened to me a few years back, the agency were all over me telling me how many people they had taken to court and how my reputation would be mud - I told them to bring it on and they mysteriously vanished.

The key thing is that they can only protect their 'legitimate business interests', and they can only sue you for actual losses. Given that the client has chosen to no longer do business with them, they have no business interest to protect. Furthermore, as the client will no longer do business with them they will suffer no financial loss by you not working through them, so they can sue you for precisely nothing.

Just go with the client. They hold all the cards and whilst the agency will give you a rough time there is nothing they can actually do here.

Comment

It happened to me when I was at the MoD, I was contracted to Modis but had to switch to Elan when EDS took over as Modis weren't on EDS's list, god knows why as Modis have been the most professional of the agency I've worked with.

I didn't have to do anything as they sorted it out amongst themselves, I assume Elan paid Modis off?
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        It happened to me when I was at the MoD, I was contracted to Modis but had to switch to Elan when EDS took over as Modis weren't on EDS's list, god knows why as Modis have been the most professional of the agency I've worked with.

I didn't have to do anything as they sorted it out amongst themselves, I assume Elan paid Modis off?
        Elan are EDS's Preferred Recruitment Agent. I doubt that they would have paid Modis off, especially as Modis is not on the preferred agency list.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Elan are EDS's Preferred Recruitment Agent. I doubt that they would have paid Modis off, especially as Modis is not on the preferred agency list.
          But I was under contract with Modis so I assume they got some remuneration for loss of business, I wasn't suggesting that Elan paid to take the contract, it would have been compensation.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

But I was under contract with Modis so I assume they got some remuneration for loss of business, I wasn't suggesting that Elan paid to take the contract, it would have been compensation.
            I don't think Elan would have provided Modis with any compenstation. The decision was with the client and not with the agency. So why should the Agency pay for the actions of the client?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

This is my first contract, and therefore first dealing with an agency. Is the best policy to be open and up front with my current agency and tell them that the client won't extend with them? They've so far been very friendly.

As for the new agency, how do I decide which is best?
              Steria, Hays, Parity, someone else

Any tips on maximising my rate in the transition, after all I'm bringing the client to the agency, I've built the relationship, this could be a foot in the door for them so surely I should get a bigger slice.

Comment

They clearly wouldn't fit in with the way EDS work then

Comment

Originally posted by steve2k View Post
                  Thanks for the replies.

This is my first contract, and therefore first dealing with an agency. Is the best policy to be open and up front with my current agency and tell them that the client won't extend with them? They've so far been very friendly.
                  Honestly be surprised if client has not already told them. Try to get something from client about agency not being on supplier list and go to agency with that, if you cannot I would say tell agency anyway

BUT, be prepared for the tulip to hit the wall all around, agency will be pissed at client and yourself and most likely start threatening everyone (if they have any brains though will not start doing that until they are sure they cannot get on the list), take all their threats with a pinch of salt, see if client is going to ignore them and then consult a lawyer yourself if your feel you have any doubts about your own standing with going via another agency

While you should be in the clear legally/financially if you work for client via another agency (as deckster explained) client most likely will not be, but that is their problem, not yours so I would not even mention it to them if I was you

Though seen similar situations a few times and normally everything falls to pieces once the client lawyers review the client/agency contracts (which normally they never do until the threats start coming from the agency) and realise they cannot keep the contractor due to contract T&C's or just consider it not worth the hassle of fighting the agency

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                    Though seen similar situations a few times and normally everything falls to pieces once the client lawyers review the client/agency contracts (which normally they never do until the threats start coming from the agency) and realise they cannot keep the contractor due to contract T&C's or just consider it not worth the hassle of fighting the agency
                    Are you saying the agency may be able to stop the client employing me though another agency?

Comment

Working...
                    X