• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1st Public Sector gig... what to expect?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about to quit a public sector role (I know what with current market and all - but got plenty tucked away!)

It really is awful, after six months cannot get the lazy permies to commit to actually starting anything, the documentation is horrendous and everyone has a comment on everything! I could say it's six months pay for sweet FA...but sometimes you have to move for your own sanity!

Just upsetting all the civil servants drain your taxes!!!

Comment

My latest gig is back in the public sector. I've been there a week and so far I'd say I've spent (no joke) 80%+ doing *nothing*. Nobody wants to give me any work even though I've asked, the few tasks I've done have reminded me how different the mind set is.

So far I've come up against:-

1. Can't do it for 'health and safety'.
      2. Can't do it as there's nothing documented on a ticket for it.
      3. I was told on one particular issue if problems persisted the lady in question would end up on sick leave because of the undue stress it was causing, and potentially claim constructive dismissal if nothing was sorted out.

On the one hand I'm pleased to be back in a job, but it's really scary to see how inefficient and wasteful our taxes are used for.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        On the one hand I'm pleased to be back in a job, but it's really scary to see how inefficient and wasteful our taxes are used for.
        Well said
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
          My latest gig is back in the public sector. I've been there a week and so far I'd say I've spent (no joke) 80%+ doing *nothing*. Nobody wants to give me any work even though I've asked, the few tasks I've done have reminded me how different the mind set is.

So far I've come up against:-

1. Can't do it for 'health and safety'.
          2. Can't do it as there's nothing documented on a ticket for it.
          3. I was told on one particular issue if problems persisted the lady in question would end up on sick leave because of the undue stress it was causing, and potentially claim constructive dismissal if nothing was sorted out.

I did a very simple roll-out project for a South Yorkshire council a while back, new multi-function printers/copiers, some new workstations and servers, some switches and a bit of cabling and power, pretty trivial task to be honest. I had a team of decent techies (all contractors from box shifters to tech support) who knew their jobs and got on with it. What threw the schedule right off was the 75% of council staff who were utter jobsworth pelicans who were unable to read the clear simple English emails, flyers left on every desk and posters on most walls. We came accross some 50 desks where the people were absent on long term sick (3-18+ months) and an unbelievable amount of utter bone idle slackers.

I had done Public sector stuff in Education, Libraries and Government departments before and since and while they're poor this council took the biscuit (biccy tin, tea towel and kettle too if truth be told) for sheer idleness. We were congratulated that the project only went 3 weeks over schedule as they expected 13 weeks, it would be funny if it wasn't our money they waste.

Comment

Working...
          X