• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fixed term contract with PAYE deductions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed term contract with PAYE deductions

I'm possibly in line for a fixed 1 year contract, but it will be conducted as a fixed-term employment contract.

Why doesn't clientco just offer a contract basis where I invoice - I am confused why they want to take PAYE deductions, meaning my costs are effectively out of 'net pay'.

What is the benefit to the client?
    "take me to your leader"

just been offered the same

perks i was told
    1 months notice
    sick pay

not so great perks
    average engineers salary

At least I was polite enough to wait until he finished the sales pitch before telling him to shove it up his hoop - as it was worse than a permie job i.e no pension, benefits etc

I'll take my chance on the bench - would rather take a job at £20/hr than do this

Comment

Schedule D

The problem with these types of contracts is that you generally can't claim expenses for them. Known as schedule D expenses you can claim them even if caught by IR35. It may be worth considering if those expenses are very low. For example, if you live very close by.

In general I would expect most people to avoid these like the plague. In cases where people do take them, it's generally from desperation.

Comment

For example you can't claim travel to and from the clients office, it has to come out of your taxed income.

Also from an IR35 perspective, to me having so called business contracts and then being a permie and then a permie temp and then getting a contract does not look good in proving you are in business on your own behalf.

Unless it's paying an astronomical salary I'd take a low paid IR35 proof (as far as possible) contract instead.

Comment

Nothing wrong with £20/p hr!
          Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
            I'm possibly in line for a fixed 1 year contract, but it will be conducted as a fixed-term employment contract.

Why doesn't clientco just offer a contract basis where I invoice - I am confused why they want to take PAYE deductions, meaning my costs are effectively out of 'net pay'.

What is the benefit to the client?
            Er, this isn't actually contracting.

This is being an employee with a fixed termination date.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by pleomax View Post
              Nothing wrong with £20/p hr!
              Yes - sorry not having a dig at those earning £20/hr - I was just saying I would rather earn £20/hr on a contract and be in control of my own destiny than sign up for a £40k/yr fixed term contract. I past all that perm stuff now - if I ever went back it would be for a lot of money and perks to boot

anyway - second contractor got the same convesation this morning but he managed to butt in half way through and answered "I heard about that - no chance". The manners of some people.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                Er, this isn't actually contracting.

This is being an employee with a fixed termination date.

hth
                STO

So none of us can see what motivates the client to do it... most likely just short-sightedness on their part I suppose - shame because it would make it more viable.
                "take me to your leader"

Comment

There is a possiblity they are being extremely stupid.

They see you contracting earning for example £25 per hour but then offer you a job on £20 per hour and they feel they have saved £5 per hour.

Obviously forgetting all of the additional employee costs (Holidays/Employers NI etc etc etc )

Or it may be that they feel they will get your commitment for a year without worrying about it.

Or it's possible HR have decided that they need to cut the agency/contractor bills and so you then have to go on the payroll bill.

Plenty of reasons very few have any real benefits.

Comment

Is this what 'pro-rata' means?
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X