• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a break between contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a break between contract

I work with a contractor who has been on site for 13 months straight, his contract us up end of march and is taking a 2 week 'break' between contract renewals. So will start an extention to existing contract 13th April, He says this is an IR35 thing?! (no other explanation given)

They will be returning 2 weeks later to the same role, same rate on a 3 month extention, are they misunderstanding IR35 rules or am I?

Thanks

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
    I work with a contractor who has been on site for 13 months straight, his contract us up end of march and is taking a 2 week 'break' between contract renewals. So will start an extention to existing contract 13th April, He says this is an IR35 thing?! (no other explanation given)

They will be returning 2 weeks later to the same role, same rate on a 3 month extention, are they misunderstanding IR35 rules or am I?

Thanks
    Does not sound long enough to me, maybe 2 or 3 months....but 2 weeks is just a holiday.

I don't think there are any fixed rules but he is fooling himself if he thinks that is going to help if he gets reviewed for IR35.

He sould as an accountant or a tax advisor to confirm this.

Comment

It's got nothing to do with IR35.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Signo_cypher View Post
        Sure it is. Its 2 weeks less money he will have to pay IR35 taxes on!

Thanks
        No, he's kidding himself if he thinks taking a 2 week 'break' between contracts with the same client, at the same site, doing the same job for the same rate, gives him any sort of protection against IR35!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
        X