• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract clause headache

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract clause headache

I recently started a new contract at a previous client, after a two month break. This time the client approached me directly, and wanted to avoid using an agent to keep costs as low as possible so we came to a compromise over rate.

Now my previous agent has contacted me stating that my previous contract had a 4-month tie-in, where I would have to work through them if I went back. I'm trying to avoid doing this as the cut would have to come out of my day rate.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What can the agent do if the client (and myself) tells them they don't them involved?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
    I recently started a new contract at a previous client, after a two month break. This time the client approached me directly, and wanted to avoid using an agent to keep costs as low as possible so we came to a compromise over rate.

Now my previous agent has contacted me stating that my previous contract had a 4-month tie-in, where I would have to work through them if I went back. I'm trying to avoid doing this as the cut would have to come out of my day rate.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What can the agent do if the client (and myself) tells them they don't them involved?

Thanks in advance!
    Sue for their financial loss.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
      Sue for their financial loss.

tim
      They could probably sue both of you i.e. you and the client. Whether they will or not is another story though...

Comment

Thanks ... and the chances of them doing this .. ?!

Comment

Thanks ... and the chances of them doing this .. ?!
          Will probably depend on:

1) The strength of the clauses
          2) Whether they foresee future work for themselves at your client
          3) How much they felt they could get

etc etc

Comment

doh..

In similar situation myself.

My cooling off period is set at 6 months, and now my ex client wants me back for 8 days only after 5 months. What to do?

Comment

Ok what I would like to know is who did you upset to blab to your previous agent about you going direct?

Also is the client approached you direct WTF has it got to do with them as it is a B2B arrangement.

Or do I have my bolishe contractor hat on?

Pleomax (Almost typed my real name there again)
              Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

Well, the agent has sources in place I think .. he's put in several people here over time, although most of them are now gone. He must have been doing a fair bit of snooping I think ... very sneaky.

How does a B2B arrangement change this? Can this render the contract clauses invalid, or is this simply wishful thinking??!

Is there any workaround - e.g. not invoicing for say two months until outside of the tie-in period ??!

Comment

Were you opted in or out? Or perhaps more importantly were you opted out when you really should have been classed as opted in? That would make a difference to the restriction of trade clause. (or whatever its called these days)
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

There was a deal of coercion when I signed the original contract to opt-out - I believe that otherwise, the tie-in period would have been 8 weeks, thus avoiding this issue ...

I might have some emails still lurking with this ...

Comment

Working...
                    X