• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats happened to SA contracts ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBK1972 View Post
    Hi
    Out of interest, whats stopping me as a ltd company, sponsoring myself for SC clearance ?
    Quite simple to answer this one, the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) who're the people who vet people for SC and DV clearances have an approved list of sponsor companies known as List X, plus Government Ministries and the Armed Forces.
    If your company isn't on that list then they won't even issue you with the forms let alone accept a request to perform the Clearance checks on an individual.

As to your other point the entire market is very depressed, if you're not prepared to work almost anywhere you're significantly limiting your chances of securing your next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by s2budd View Post
      Here is one in Sussex

I have not applied because it's the wrong side of the country for me and I do not like the look of the Windows Server part.

Server and Storage Systems Administrators [This job has been advertised by a member of REC] Contract

Server and Storage Systems Administrators required to join a very busy Servers support team.

As the Server and Storage Administrator you will be primarily responsible for covering such areas as patch upgrades, disk allocation and management, ideally both internal disk storage and SAN managed storage, backup regimes, preventative measures, and implementation and enforcement of security procedures, including hardening of servers, resilience and recovery. You will have proven record of managing Sunfire servers, HP Proliant Servers as well as experience with Symantec (Veritas) Netbackup, Sun Solaris including Solstice Disksuite/SVM, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008, HP SIM and Network load balancing and clustering. In reference to SAN Technologies, you will be familiar with SAN design including switched fabric and Sun/StorageTek Flexline series including SANtricity You will be part of a large scale ICT modernisation with contracts initially being for 3 months with strong possibilities of extension beyond that.

To apply for this position, candidates must be eligible to live and work in the UK
      Location East Sussex
      Country UK
      Start Date 02/03/2009
      Duration 3 Months
      Rate £300 - £350 per day
      Employment Business Matchtech Group - IT Division
      Contact James Mills
      Telephone 01489882506
      Fax 01489898290
      Email [email protected]
      Reference JS190888JPM
      Posted Date 19/02/2009 10:57:06
      Sounds like my job spec ....

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Hi all

Glad Im not the only SA thats finding it difficult :-)

Seems like we are all trying for the same contract then :-)

I cant re-locate / or b & B for contracts up north as my wife and I have just had a baby, so not a good time to say "Im off see you on Friday " :-)

Im now looking back into the banks. I did my tour of duty, so to speak, and after 7 years contracting around the city, decided trade floors werent for me anymore. But, needs must, so am now looking at everything.

looking on the job boards, seems like solaris is the black sheep of the family at the moment. Linux, HPUX and AIX seem to be the rage. Linux, god talk about all the good bits of solaris, hp, irix, squeezed into one os :-) AIX seems to be flavour as IBM are doing a big push at the moment. Although I must say my old project was to build a DR system on a E25K. I did consider IBM eqpuipment as the level of control ovewr cpu's, processing power was amazing, compared, then, to sun's offerings.

Im now starting to look at permy jobs. Well, I say permy, but to me they are just long winded contracts :-)

Anyway, fingers crossed for all of us.

Cheers guys.

SBK

Comment

I don't know if these are contracts or not....

I got this today - apologies if they are for permies....

From: "Simon Topps" <[email protected]>Add sender to Contacts To: [email protected]

Dear yyyyyyyyy

Please accept my apologies if this is of no interest or not suitable for you.

We are currently looking for a plethora of Helpdesk/ Service Desk Support Engineer, Windows Systems Administrators and also Linux/ Unix Administrators based in the Netherlands.

Our clients range in Location across the country but most positions are based in the Utrecht and Amsterdam areas.

The salaries, technologies, skills and levels of experience of these positions vary greatly....the one thing they all have in common is they are looking for people who are FLUENT in both DUTCH and ENGLISH.

If you are slightly interested please email your CV over and I will take a look at it with the ideal of matching you with one of our positions.

Likewise we offer a referral reward scheme, so if you have friends/ family or colleagues who may be interested please dont hesitate to forward my details to them or send their details and I will contact them directly

Thanks for your time and have a good weekend!

Simon
          [email protected]
          0044 1908 209 260
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/simontopps
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by SBK1972 View Post
            Hi

( Out of interest, whats stopping me as a ltd company, sponsoring myself for SC clearance ? )
            see link below for explanation of how to get security cleared

http://www.securityclearedjobs.com/h...ty_cleared.asp

Comment

Working...
            X