• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The proverbial just hit the fan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Are you mixing up the word "out" with the word "in" there?
    WHS.

I was under the impression that agencies always wanted you to opt out; they didn't want you to opt in. If you've already been introduced / had an interview with ClientCo (not sure about if they've only been sent a CV), it's too late to opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

I'll calm down when I know I am IR35 safe.
      I think opting in or out is largely irrelevant with regards to IR35. If you are worried why not take out insurance from QDOS or join the PCG. Both options are of infinitely much more use. QDOS will (subject to you meeting their insurance criteria) pay your legal fees for an IR35 defence and any tax, interest and penalties as a result of you losing. PCG will pay your legal fees. I actually have both as I want to support the PCG but want the extra cover offered by QDOS.

Comment

The agency for this gig tried to get me to sign a form saying "I agree to pay myself in line with IR35 and it's not up to *agency* to ensure this"

What they wanted was no laibility if I ever did get investigated but it's worded like an IR35 opt in form if ever there was such a thing.

I'll happily sign something to keep them out of any possible future disputes between MyCo and HMRC - but who are they to tell me how to run my business!

Still haven't signed it 3 months in and haven't heard a peep out of them about it
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Got offered a gig Friday morning after a 2.5 week wait. Waited ALL day for the contract to finally arrive. It did just before COB Friday, pending an early start this Monday just passed.

The other contractors that have started find themselves in the same boat as me. The pimps are refusing to send out the IR35 opt out forms as we have "already started". The pimp dealing with this, its his first job and basically he tuliped up by not giving us the forms/option up front.

The pimps legal team are stonewalling over this. I have CV out to Accountax for IR35 vetting anway and they cannot get back to me with written report for 5 business days.

I have heard varying reports of the significance of opting out. Just how tuliped are we if we don't, they won't and we can't?

Also ClientCo are not amused and have offered us to contact direct. Anyone been in this situation? How much did the pimps win at the obvious court case?

Oh my tulips I am very concerned.
          Just read this and am sure you have it sorted now, but - this is all actually fairly simple in many ways.

IR35 and the EAA regs have nothing to do with each other. IR35 is what you (I assume) need to ensure you are outside, for tax purposes. i.e. you are a proper contractor, like.

The EAA regulations are, I think, what your post relates to. The regulations were bought in originally to protect agency temps. Contractors are now able to 'opt out' of these regulations if they feel they don't apply. Although agencies are 'not allowed' to sway you, most agencies are dead against contractors opting in, and make it as difficult as possible. Which is why it is so important for us contractors to be as informed as possible when dealing with agencies who are telling us that if we opt IN, we will be 'inside IR35.' The only way this could happen is if (as happens) they withdraw the IR35 friendly contract once you opt in, and present a non-friendly IR35 contract. Otherwise, whether you are opted in or opted out is of no relevant to the client (whatever your lovely pimp may say, for future ref. A favourite of pimps I have spoken to is to spout 'well, Ok. If you opt in...it will make you an employee in the eyes of the client...'). Untrue. Opting in will protect you against several factors, the main ones being non-payment from the agent, and the (usually long) handcuff clause in contracts. If you are opted in for example, you have the option to go direct with the client something like 8 weeks after your contract end. If you are opted out, you generally have to adhere to the clause in your contract that will state a 12 month stay-away clause. (Don't quote me on the specifics there, but you get the gist).

In summary (!), your agency seem either confused, or completely on the ball. I can't decide which. The PCG advises that once you are 'introduced' to a client (which I took to mean interviewed by client), you are unable to opt out of the EAA regulations. You are opted in to the EAA Regs. This is no bad thing in the current climate possibly, but it is always your decision with every contract you take on. Make sure you read up on it properly so you can swat these pimps away.

You are legally allowed to opt back out, but I am a bit fuzzy on this one as to when you do it.

Bit of a long one, sorry - but it really gets my goat when agencies scare relatively new contractors with their bullcrud.

HTH.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
          X