• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

couple of days work, nudge nudge, say no more

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple of days work, nudge nudge, say no more

I have the possibility of a few days work with a local company, at a rate that is way below what I usually charge, even in times of so called financial crisis

they have a set budget they want for something they reckon will take 5 days

spoke to the guy the other day, and am meeting him tomorrow for a chat just out of courtesy initially

Now, I normally work through my Ltd, but are there any other options for such a short piece of work?

Mention it on the interweb, then do it cash in hand and try not to think of the Inland Revenue and the VAT man finding out. Some can, some can't.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

Sorry, what was the actual question you wanted answered?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

not at all, I just wondered if there might be another way to do it

ie. outside my Ltd but declare it as income?

obviously I could do it cash in hand and take the risk, I don't need to ask on the internet to know that, but thank you for asking!

Comment

What is the benefit or gain by doing it 'outside' your ltd?
        The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          Now, I normally work through my Ltd, but are there any other options for such a short piece of work?
          1. Self-employed.
          2. Umbrella.
          3. Your Ltd.

I can't understand why you would want to do it outside your Ltd, since with 1 or 2 you will be paying PAYE (assuming you declare it).

If you don't pay your tax due, then the company that employed you will become liable. Which is why most clients force you to be through an umbrella or Ltd.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            not at all, I just wondered if there might be another way to do it

ie. outside my Ltd but declare it as income?

obviously I could do it cash in hand and take the risk, I don't need to ask on the internet to know that, but thank you for asking!
            Hahahahaha! I dont think anyone believes that!

You either do it 'for cash' or via your Ltd Co. Surely its a no brainer to put it through the Ltd Co?
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

stupid question i guess, i am suitably chastised, thanks all!

Comment

Presumably, small jobs like this are worth putting through the books in case one has to defend one's IR35 status?

I've written that, knowing full well I'm about to be shot down in flames... "it's all to do with each contract" or some such.
                Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
                  Presumably, small jobs like this are worth putting through the books in case one has to defend one's IR35 status?

I've written that, knowing full well I'm about to be shot down in flames... "it's all to do with each contract" or some such.
                  a contractor friend of mine swears by having lots of short contracts for the same reason

Comment

Do it for cash. As it's a small piece of low rate work and the local company wants it cheap why not.

Comment

Working...
                    X