• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project Manager <> Business Analyst

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Manager <> Business Analyst

Is there anyone here who alters between the two roles, or applies for both? At what point can you define yourself as a 'BA' in your career?

Only reason I ask is because I had a call today for a gig as a BA doing some process mapping for business changes, although I've got knowledge and some small experience of this it's not my main area.. just wondering if any other PM's out there have branched out into the BA role, or vice versa.. etc?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

I don't take much notice of the job title, it's often open to much interpretation anyway. A PM in one client company is a BA in another.
    I've worked in places where the person occupying a role called BA is fulfilling a PM-like function, and in other places where the BA's a very much business-focused IT staff, working as subject matter experts, and requiring a lot of specific business knowledge in their area.
    There's no telling what the job is really going to be like until you're at the interview at the very least. Often, that can change too when you get on site.

Comment

I think in 'official' terms the BA is tasked with defining Business Requirments, perforing process mapping, producing business and tech specs and generally ensuring that the PM knows what the business wants.

The PM should then be responsible for delivering those requirements.

BA's often (not always) will then get involved in testing and possibly training of users.

But as the CAT says the roles are not clearly definied it depends on who knows most about the business and how involved you can get the stakeholders/endusers.

Comment

I fall in this category, and I gave agreed with the various agencies to have 2 CVs, one for a BA role and the other for PM.

Comment

Working...
        X