• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you up to (no work related thread)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you up to (no work related thread)

As I'm out of a contract at the moment, I thought I'd get some ideas going as to what people tend to do when they are out of a contract, here's mine:-

1) Took a holiday to somewhere warmer - I always take my breaks when I'm between contracts and never during. I always have my PDA with me to check emails from jobserve etc.

2) Booked myself on a Prince 2 practioner course £995 ex Vat - 5 days intense course. Although I've been a PM for over 10 years and even when perm never got the opportunity to do it, I thought it was about time I did soem training. And the best time as I'm not contracting.

3) Paid tax bill and sorted VAT return out. How exciting...!

4) Researching the net for jobs as usual, daily.

5) Doing some house decoration work. Painting etc, might as well, no point paying somebody to do it if I can do it myself. Again, as I'm not working - why not.

6) Looking at swapping and choosing insurances etc, utilities, to save some money. Might as well, as I never ever get time when contracting....just too busy, or away during the week.

7) Oh, and my nice car which costs £££ in petrol is hibernating for the winter and am using the mrs Clio as a runaround to save money.

To be honest, I'm quiet enjoying the break, never get stressed during gaps...always backed with money in the bank...just not too long I hope during this downturn.

Think I'm keeping busy! What else do you guys do in gaps then?

Play the PS3 and knock one out >3 times a day.

Comment

The holiday plan is a good one. Why go on holiday to a warm place in the summer, duh?

Training. It costs SO MUCH MONEY to take time off to go on a course. Doing it when benched is very efficient. Especially since it immediately adds to your saleable value.

The rest makes perfect, logical sense, you boring sensible fart! Go on, blow some money on something irresponsible. You're a contractor.

I'm looking forward to NickFitz's answer...
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
        Knock one out >3 times a day.
        Your a contractor why don't you pay for the services instead ?

Comment

I've been benched about 3 months now, did start a new gig in December but decided it was a no-go after day #1.. interviews starting to happen again, but in my time off it has been:-

1. Enjoyed Christmas due to the fact I had plenty time to plan/prepare/stock-up/spend time pissing about doing stuff I normally avoid, like putting up the decorations etc..

2. Did the PRINCE2 prac. course whilst benched which I passed, totally enjoyed it, was one of the best weeks I've had this year.. and that says a lot as I normally hate training/education with a passion.

3. Spent a lot of time with my 2 young kids, playing with them, taking them to the park to kick football, etc.. all the stuff I miss when I'm working as it's either 5pm+ when I get in, or I'm too lazy once I take my coat off.

4. Did the car thing too, except I sold mine and bought a £800 run-around which will be passed to someone in our family once they pass their test soon.. again, cost cutting.

5. More cost cuttings to ensure my rainy-day fund lasts as long as possible.

6. Did CentreParcs rather than abroad, but to be fair it's crap in winter.. bit of a waste of money we felt.. (only £300, no big deal).

7. Spent an entire day re-doing my entire CV updating it with *EVERYTHING* I'd ever done in my career, skills section, etc.. to ensure I'm making the most of myself.

8. Job market searches daily, has paid off.. 2 interviews this week, with a few other random calls for stuff which didn't get to an interview for various reasons (rate/location/etc)..

9. Did a space saving exercise in the house clearing out ALL the old tulip and taking it all to the dump, making the most of our home, and feeling good about reclaiming space.

10. Played some games on PS3, PC, etc.. stuff I don't normally get time to do.

11. Started getting back into the gym, but let that slip again.. had flu just after New Year, so will be getting that going again ASAP.

12. Lying in the bath at 2pm mid-week wondering what everyone else might be currently doing whilst I'm busy chilling out!

13. Most importantly, not getting stressed or worried about being benched.. I'll make up for it once I get another gig, maybe next year I'll work 51 weeks.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Do something you've always wanted to do, like a sailing or diving course, learn to play a guitar/drums etc. Go to a lapdancing bar for lunch. Join a retirees table tennis club and whip ass!

All things I did when on the bench - I miss the excitement!

Comment

I'm starting piano lessons soon. Anyone seen Groundhog day?
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                I'm starting piano lessons soon. Anyone seen Groundhog day?
                Seen it? I'm bloody living it!
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Will be benched from Friday. Quite happy with the prospect of taking >4 weeks off for the first time in five years. Will be doing plenty of running, need to lose the gut.

On the subject of training / re-training I'm seriously considering starting ACCA (accountancy - yes really) as an option to keep in the back pocket for 5-10 years hence.
                  Last edited by moorfield; 19 January 2009, 23:06.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                    On the subject of training / re-training I'm seriously considering starting ACCA (accountancy - yes really) as an option to keep in the back pocket for 5-10 years hence.
                    Interesting. Last year a really good SAP consultant I was working with finished doing his accountancy qualifications: "So I can talk my client's talk, do my own accounts as a contractor - or at least check my accountant's paperwork, and charge about 50% more 'cos there's so few qualified accountants doing SAP consultancy."
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X